|Wheeler & Wheeler Home||About Wheeler & Wheeler||Curtis Memorial Library Home|
|Previous Chapter||Table of Contents||Next Chapter|
MILITARY HISTORY OF THE THREE TOWNS.
An account has already been given, in Part I, of the several engagements that occurred in this vicinity during the period of the Indian wars, and of the troops that were stationed here, and a list, necessarily incomplete, of the soldiers from these towns will be given in the Appendix. This chapter goes no further back than the war of the Revolution and the events immediately preceding it.
For some years preceding the actual commencement of hostilities the danger of a conflict between the colonies and the mother country had been anticipated in each of the towns whose history is being narrated, and Committees of Safety and of Correspondence were established in all three of them. As to what particular acts were done by those committees but little is known, as no records appear to have been kept by them. It is known, however, that they kept up a correspondence with similar committees of other towns, more especially with Boston and the larger places, and were thus made seasonably acquainted with the condition of affairs over the whole country.
The earliest movement of a military character, in this immediate vicinity, having any bearing upon the subsequent war, was in 1774. This year the supply of powder in each town was increased, patriotic speeches were frequently made by public speakers, and nearly all ablebodied men were engaged in studying the manual of arms and practising the drill. Some time during this year, Reverend Jacob Bailey, of Pownalboro', noted for his Tory proclivities, was stopped at Stone's tavern, in Brunswick, on his way home from the westward. He was accused of being a Tory and was urged to sign "the League." On his refusal he was allowed to depart, but was notified that he would be visited at his home the next week.1
[1775.] On April 19, 1775, commenced the opening struggle of the Revolution, at Lexington. It took but a few days for the news to
1. North, History of Augusta, p. 119.
reach Brunswick and arouse its inhabitants. A town meeting was called by the selectmen, who issued the following warrant for its assembling:-
"GREETING;"You are hereby required forthwith to warn all the inhabitants of the said town of Brunswick, qualified to bear arms, to meet at the west meeting-house in said Brunswick, on Thursday, the 27th inst. at ten o'clock in the forenoon, with their guns and what ammunition they have, in order that it may be known the state of the town for defence; and to determine what measures shall be gone into by the town to furnish materials for defence against any enemy that may invade it, and to act and do everything necessary for security in this alarming situation of affairs.
"Given under our hands and seal this 25th day of April, A. D. 1775.
This meeting "was fully attended and was remarkable for its great solemnity. All seemed deeply impressed with the magnitude of the dangers which were hanging over them and the importance of preserving order and tranquillity. There were some who breathed nothing but war and revenge on Great Britain, but who, when the crisis came, when the burden of the contest was falling heavily upon the citizens, when soldiers, provisions, clothing, and money were wanted and must be furnished by the town, moved with their families from town into the woods -now Durham and Lisbon- and escaped the heat and burden of the war. It was said that twenty moved from Brunswick at this time to be out of harm's way and save paying taxes. The Quakers settled in Durham about this time from a different motive. Lemuel Jones, falling into Brunswick, suffered his property to be distrained in the payment of war taxes, as did others of the Quakers.1"
Upon the reception of the news of the battle of Lexington, Captain Lithgow and Lieutenant George White, of Topsham, at once commenced to collect a company of soldiers, and were very successful. This company went to Portland and were, under the orders of
1. McKeen, in Brunswick Telegraph, July 1, 1854.
Colonel Mitchell, put at work erecting a fort.1 They were discharged in November, and many of them re-enlisted under White, who was then a captain, and who, the same year, was made major of the regiment of which Samuel McCobb, of Georgetown, was colonel, and Dummer Sewall, of the same town, now Bath, was lieutenant-colonel. This regiment was ordered to join the army under Washington, at Cambridge. In 1776 it was ordered to Rhode Island.
In the latter part of April, 1775. Captain Nathaniel Larrabee and Lieutenant Isaac Snow went to Condy's Harbor, at Harpswell, with a company of men from Brunswick and Harpswell. They were employed in erecting a fort there and in building barracks. They had two "wall-pieces," that were brought from Fort Halifax, and two swivels. A wall-piece was stocked, like a gun, with a lock. It was ten or twelve feet long, with a bore of two and one half inches. It would send twenty musket-balls across to Bear Island, over a mile distant. This company remained here until Christmas, and during their stay the British appeared off the harbor several times and fired at them. The fire was returned with these wall-pieces. Three days after the burning of Portland, which occurred October 18, this company was ordered to Portland, and were employed for two weeks, under Colonel Finney, in building a fort on Munjoy's Neck. They then returned to Sebascodigan Island. These men were not regular troops, but were "minute-men."2
On the twenty-ninth of April, the following account of the state of affairs in this vicinity was written by Brigadier Thompson. The letter bears no address, but was probably directed to the governor of the Massachusetts Colony:-
"I this minute have an opportunity to Informe you of the State of our affairs at the Eastward; that we are all Stanch for County's Except three men and one of them is Deserted, the other two is in Iorns; as for the vessels which attempted to Convey Stuff to our enemies are stopt and I am about to move about two hundred of white pine masts and other Stuff got for our Enemies use. Sir, haveing heard of the Cruill murders they have dun in our Province, makes us more Resolute than ever and, finding that the Sword is drawn first on their side, that we shall be annimated with that noble Spirit that wise men ought to be, until our Just Rights and Libertys are Secured to us. Sir, my heart is with every tru Son of America, tho my Person can he in but one place at once, tho very soon I hope to be with you on the spot.
1. McKeen, MS. Lecture.
"There was a man in our town,|
I'll tell you his condition,
He sold his oxen and his corn,
And bought him a Commission.
"A Commission thus he did obtain,
But soon he got a coward's name,
At Bunker ne'er shewed he his face,
Nor there his country's fame disgrace.
"He came one day to the tailor's gate,
And there his men assemble,
Who with his needles and his shears,
He made them all to tremble.
"Some said they were all brave men,
Some said that they could fight, sir,
But all of them were made to run,
And that by the tailor's wife, sir."1
In May, 1775, occurred what is locally known as "THOMPSON'S WAR."
For some weeks previously Colonel Samuel Thompson, Colonel Purinton, Captain John Simmons, Aaron Hinkley, Esquire, John Merrill, Esquire, Thomas Thompson, and James Potter had been holding secret meetings at the house of Aaron Hinkley, and had concocted a plan, first suggested by Colonel Thompson, of seizing the British war-ship Canceau, commanded by Captain Henry Mowatt.
Samuel Thompson was, chosen colonel, and John Merrill and
Thomas Thompson were chosen captains. Captain John Simmons was appointed commodore. To prevent a premature disclosure of their plans, all the roads leading to Portland were closely guarded and none allowed to pass unless sworn to secrecy. Notwithstanding this, some intimation of their design reached Mowatt's ears. The original plan was to procure a vessel of sufficient size to carry a company of some sixty or seventy men; to disguise the vessel as a wood-coaster; to conceal the men in the hold; sail for Portland in the night, go alongside of the Canceau and board her immediately. The rendez-vous was to be New Meadows. The disclosure of the plan altered their arrangements somewhat, but did not deter them from their design. They sailed from New Meadows on the night of May 8th, and landed on the morning of the 9th in a grove of thick trees, at place called Sandy Point. There were about fifty armed men, each wearing in his hat a small bough of spruce. Their standard was a spruce pole with the green top left on. Sentinels were posted around their camp, and several persons who chanced to pass that way were seized and detained. Pelatiah Haley was sent into town to obtain whatever information he might be able. About one o'clock in the afternoon, Captain John Merrill, with two of the sentinels, while walking near the shore, saw Captain Mowatt with Reverend Mr. Wiswall, of St. Paul's Church, and his surgeon, land at Clay Cove. and walk up the hill. They compelled them to surrender, and immediately sent for General Thompson to receive Mowatt's sword. This he did, but returned it immediately. A number of prominent citizens of Falmouth visited the camp and urged the release of the prisoners. The "Spruce Company " were inflexible, but as night was approaching they concluded to march their prisoners to Marston's tavern. About nine o'clock the prisoners were released on a promise to return the next morning, General Preble and Colonel Freeman pledging themselves for them. The prisoners, however, did not keep good their promise. The company left on Friday. There were other companies joined them while in Falmouth, and some misdeeds were committed by soldiers, but there is no positive evidence that it was by Thompson's men. On their return they took back some boats belonging to Mowatt. When about leaving it is said that they were considerably alarmed at the approach of a fishing-smack belonging in North Yarmouth, which they erroneously supposed to be a vessel sent out by Mowatt to capture them.1
This attack of Thompson and his men has been pretty harshly criticised, but however premature it may have been, it was, in a measure, successful, and had he been properly seconded by the citizens of Falmouth no doubt the Canceau would have fallen into their hands. A year later and it would have proved a success.
The soldiers under Thompson's command were mostly young adventurers, who afterwards enlisted under command of Captain James Curtis, were employed for some time at Condy's Harbor, were then sent to Cambridge, and were afterwards sent to Camden, N.J.
Tradition says that at this time the British made the threat that they would breakfast in Portland and dine at Harpswell, and that the citizens of the latter place had their oxen all yoked, and ready, if they saw the British coming, to take their goods and go into the woods.
In September of this year, Reverend John Miller relinquished £30 of his salary for the ensuing year, on account of the "public distresses." John Farren, the school-master, in like manner gave up £15 6s. 8d. of his salary ; and two of the selectmen, viz., Thomas Skolfield and Nathaniel Larrabee, agreed to serve without compensation. About this time Captains Dunning, of Brunswick, and Hunter, of Topsham, with nineteen men from their independent companies, carried stores from Merrymeeting Bay to Forts Western and Halifax, on the Kennebec, in gondolas, serving twenty-one days.,1
In October or November, a number of Arnold's men from the expedition to Canada, who were brought back sick, were quartered by the selectmen in different parts of the town, some of them at the house of Mr. Joseph Morse, on the Maquoit road.
Some of the inhabitants, unwilling to attack Mr. Thomas Wilson, of Topsham, a second time themselves, took advantage of the presence of these men in town to instigate some fifteen or twenty of them to go over to his house, and furnished them with boats for this purpose. On the Topsham shore they halted and loaded their guns. Mr. Wilson, who had been watching them, met them pleasantly, invited them to his house to rest, and asked them to breakfast. They spent an hour relating their sufferings while on the expedition, and after thanking Mr. Wilson for his courtesies, returned, assuring those who sent them that Mr. Wilson was too worthy a man to be so grossly insulted.
Mr. Wilson's patriotism was, however, suspected, and he was, either previously or soon after the incident just related, attacked by a mob, captured, loaded with chains, and carried to New Meadows.
The mob kept him a prisoner but a short time, but insulted him grossly, and filling his wig with tar, placed it upon his head and sent him home. He made no resistance and showed no resentment.1
In the Provincial Congress of this year, a letter was read from a Mr. Barber, containing the statement that one Mr. Perry was in this part of the country endeavoring to obtain masts, spars, and timber for the use of the enemy, and Colonel Thompson was desired "immediately to repair to Brunswick, Casco Bay, Woolwich, Georgetown, and other places, and to take the most effectual measures to acquaint the people" with the fact, "and to make use of all proper and effectual measures to prevent their aiding him in procuring said articles."2 According to McKeen, Parry was seized, and sent a prisoner to Sturbridge.
About this same time the Committees of Safety and Correspondence for the towns of Brunswick, Bowdoinham, and Topsham reported to the General Court of Massachusetts that, learning that nine vessels had arrived in the Kennebec and its tributaries, and were collecting firewood, butter, and other articles, they had considered it their duty to inquire into the legality of their proceedings. They found that these vessels had clearances from that part only of the port of Boston called Nantucket, and were acting without the consent of any committee whatever, which was in direct conflict with a Resolve of Congress of June 9th of that year. The committee, therefore, finding by the confession of the one in charge of these vessels that they had no proper license, and that all the authority they had was a permit from Samuel Goodwin and Samuel Emerson, two of the Committee of Safety for the town of Pownalborough, to sail out of the river, not considering this permit legal, had ordered the vessels to be stopped and hauled up. The House of Representatives, on receipt of the above report, passed a resolve that the committees had done rightly, and directed them to allow the vessels mentioned to return to Nantucket with such necessaries as they could procure, provided that each master of a vessel bound himself in a sum equal to the value of the vessel and cargo, to sail directly for Nantucket and there land the cargo for the use of the inhabitants of the island of Nantucket, and not to dispose of it for any other purpose.3
[1776.] The usual Committee of Correspondence, Inspection, and Safety was chosen by the three towns in 1776. A committee was
also chosen in Brunswick to petition the General Court for a barrel of gunpowder, as they were "very poorly provided with arms and ammunition, and their coast was very much exposed," etc. The commissary general of the colony was ordered by the General Court to deliver the amount asked for to Mr. Samuel Stanwood, he to pay for it at the rate of five shillings a pound.1
At a meeting of the militia and other inhabitants of Harpswell, "Including the Laram List of the first Company in Harpswell, assembled According to Order of Court Duly Notified and Met on the first Day of April, 1776," Lieutenant-Colonel Nathaniel Purinton was chosen moderator, and Andrew Dunning, clerk. Mr. Nehemiah Curtis was then chosen captain, Benjamin Dunning, first lieutenant, and Michael Curtis, second lieutenant of the militia.
At a meeting of the town of Brunswick, held May 31, it was unanimously agreed to support Congress should that body make a Declaration of Independence.
This year Robert Patten was chosen captain of the Topsham militia. His commission was dated July 1, just three days before the Declaration of Independence, and was granted by the "King's Council of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay."
Some time this year a picaroon, commanded by one Hammon, visited an island in Harpswell, which was inhabited by a single family only, and with a crew of seven men rifled them of their effects in the night, intending to rest there until day. Receiving information of this attack, Captain Nehemiah Curtis rallied a party, and before morning captured the boat and crew, and carrying the latter to Portland, lodged them in the county jail. Hammon managed, through falsehood, to get at liberty, and immediately went to the same island with a larger vessel and crew. Here Curtis and his volunteers again met him, and in the skirmish that followed, one of the miscreants was wounded and the others hurriedly withdrew.2
[1777.] Twenty-two men went to Boston from Brunswick in 1777, for service in the continental army. The town of Brunswick voted this year to make provision for the families of those men who were in the continental service.
[1778.] In April of this year John Dunning, Ephraim Graffam, Michael Growse, William Spear, Jr., and William Skolfield, of Brunswick, went into the continental service, and were sent to Peekskill. Harpswell also furnished five men, and Topsham four, at this time.3
Not far from this time, probably, an American sloop of war came into Harpswell for recruits. Quite a number of young men enlisted, among them Marlboro' Sylvester, David Johnson, and Abner Bishop. Sylvester enlisted as a clerk. Each received a pension after the war.
Some time this year the privateer Sea Flower,, Captain Tracy, sailed from Newburyport and was never heard from. She had among her complement of men, John Skolfield, Captain John Campbell, Eben Stanwood, William Stanwood, David Stanwood, John Black, William Reed, William Hunt, David Stanwood, Jr., and James Dunning, all from this vicinity.
The privateer Sturdy Beggar sailed about the same time with John Reed, Thomas Wier, and perhaps others from this vicinity, whose fate was never ascertained.1
[1779.] Four prisoners -- when and where taken is unknown -- were quartered upon the town some time in 1779, and Captains Dunlap and Thompson, Lieutenant Berry, and Mr. John Dunning were paid for the care of them.
This year the Penobscot or "Bagaduce" expedition was begun.
On July 3, 1779, the following order,2 was issued:-
"Sir: I have orders to rase a Regement out of my Brigade to go to penobscot in order to Dislodge the Enemy there, I do therefore appoint you Second major of Said Regement and expect you will hold yourself In Readyness to march at the shortest notice.
"To MAJOR NATHL. LARRABEE."
In addition to Larrabee's company, Captain Actor Patten's company from Topsham were in this expedition and engaged in the first fight. Captain Nehemiah Curtis also headed a company of men from Brunswick and Harpswell, and went to Portland and were placed under the command of Colonel Mitchell. Some of the men never received any pay.3 Captain Hinkley also had a company in this expedition. He was killed while standing upon a large rock cheering on his men,4 and the command devolved upon James Potter, 2d.
[1780.] The General Court in 1780 called for a supply of beef
for the needs of the army, and a committee was chosen by the town of Brunswick to obtain the amount required to be furnished by that town. As there was great difficulty in obtaining the requisite quantity of beef in this vicinity, the selectmen were authorized by the town to give money in lieu of what they might be unable to obtain, provided it was equally acceptable to the General Court. This year, by a resolve passed December 2, the General Court made a requisition on the town of Brunswick for its quota of men for the army.
[1781.] On the ninth of January, 1781, the town of Brunswick elected a committee to divide the town into classes or divisions in order to procure the men called for by a resolve of the General Court of December 2, 1780. At a meeting of the town held three days later, this vote was reconsidered, and a committee was chosen to procure the men called for as best they could. The action of this meeting appears, however, not to have been satisfactory, for at a subsequent meeting, held January 15. the method of classifying the town was again adopted, and it was voted "to choose a committee of one man out of each class to join in the whole as a committee, to procure a man for the deficient class or classes; that is to say, those that have not procured by the 19th inst. said deficient classes, to apply to said committee by said 19th day, and the cost of procuring the whole number of men to be averaged on the whole town, as also all defi-ciencies or penalties accruing thereon; that if any class being deficient shall neglect to apply to said committee by said 19th day, such class shall bear the penalty of the law." The town was divided into ten classes, and one member of the committee was chosen from each class. The committee were directed to meet immediately and adopt such measures as they should think best. The selectmen were also directed "to consider such as have done service for the town this present war and report at the next March meeting."
[1782.] About the year 1782, though probably somewhat earlier,1 but still towards the close of the war, a daring and succesful exploit was performed by the patriotic inhabitants of Great Sebascodigan Island. For some years previously, several small schooners, acting as "tenders" to the English war vessels, had infested the waters of Casco Bay, landing at defenceless places and robbing the farmers and preying upon the fishermen. The inhabitants at last, incensed by these maraudings, resolved to retaliate. Knowing that the crew of one of these vessels often came to Condy's to trade and to have a
carousal at a store kept by a Mrs. Eastman (a noted Tory), they decided to capture the vessel and crew.
Accordingly, not many weeks elapsed before one day, late in the evening, notice was passed around that the Picaroon, commanded by one Linnacum, a Scotchman, was at Condy's, and for all who were willing to engage in the enterprise to meet at the house of Colonel Nathaniel Purinton, at ten o'clock, P. M., to organize for an attack. Thirty men responded to the notice, armed with such weapons as they could command, and made choice of Colonel Purinton as their commander. Upon arriving at Condy's Harbor, they found the enemy had departed. Though disappointed, they did not give up, but determined to follow in pursuit.
A few of the men now left, but the others at once went on board a fishing-vessel called the Shavingmill, owned by Isaac Snow, Esquire. It was an open boat of about eight tons, fitted with sails and oars. Esquire Snow consented to the use of his boat and volunteered to go with them. At two o'clock in the morning they started in pursuit, having a light easterly wind and being obliged to use the oars. When off Small Point they exchanged the Shavingmill for the schooner America, of about fourteen tons, and partly decked over. They left two of the crew, who showed symptoms of cowardice, to take charge of the small boat, and again put to sea with eighteen men.
At sunrise they sighted the Picaroon in the offing near Seguin Island, chasing a coaster laden with lime in the hold and cordwood on deck, which was bound from Thomaston to Portland. The Picaroon captured and transferred her guns, two "three-pounder" swivels, with her other effects, to this coaster, and mounted the guns on the outer tier of wood and threw the middle tier overboard, thus leaving a good breastwork.
During the time of these preparations the America was fast coming up, and when about three miles distant the English began to fire at her with their swivels. Colonel Purinton ordered his men to keep out of sight and not to fire a gun without orders. When within pistol--shot he ordered them to rise and fire by sections as quickly as possible. He instructed the sailing-master to strike the coaster on the quarter and at once make fast the two vessels.
These orders were faithfully carried out, and about three o'clock the privateers boarded the enemy's vessel and found only two men on deck, one of whom was dead and the other shot through the knee. The others, seven in number, had gone below and were calling for quarter.
Shepherd, the man who was killed, a few moments before he was shot, was warned not to expose himself to the fire of the Yankees, but replied, '"I'll be damned if I'1l dodge at the flash of a Yankee gun!" He fell, shot through the heart. He was at the helm at the time. He was from Halifax, and was buried on a point of land at Condy's Harbor, which is now known as Shepherd's Point.
Colonel Purington started for Condy's Harbor with his two prizes, eight prisoners, two swivels, and some ammunition, and arrived there at eleven o'clock in the evening, having been absent twenty hours.
The prisoners, who were mostly Tories, were sent to Portland under guard. Those engaged in this expedition were, Colonel Nathaniel Purinton, commander; Josiah Totman, sailing master; Isaac Snow, second officer; and Henry Merritt, Elisha Snow, John Snow, Stephen Purinton, Elisha Hopkins, Peter Birthright, Nathaniel Hall, Joseph Hall, Abraham Toothaker, a Mr. Dolf, with four others, whose names are unknown. Stephen Purinton was then only about nineteen years of age. His share of the prize money was twenty dollars.
Of the two swivels, one was given to the Parsonfield Academy, about 1837, and the other was burst while firing a salute, July 4, 1869.1
[1783.] During the year 1783 a letter was received in Brunswick from the Committee of Correspondence at Boston, desiring to know the feeling of the town in regard to allowing the return to their homes of refugees and conspirators. The subject was discussed at town--meeting, and it was unanimously voted "That they ought never to be suffered to return, but to be excluded from having lot or portion in any of the United States of America." This is the last recorded action of either of the towns having immediate reference to the period of the Revolution.
The exact time of the formation of any of the militia companies, subsequent to the Revolution, is not known. In 1788 the First Regiment of the First Brigade and Fourth Division of the Massachusetts Militia mustered for the first time where the Bath Hotel, in Bath, now stands. John Lemont, of Bath, was colonel, and John Reed, of Topsham, lieutenant-colonel of this regiment.
On the twenty-ninth of July, 1794, the town of Brunswick voted to give each man that should enlist and equip himself as instructed by
the commander-in-chief," so much as will make up, with what the United States give, ten dollars per month from the time he marches till he shall be discharged." It was also voted to pay each man that passed muster four dollars as a bounty. This call for troops was occasioned by Indian hostilities in the West.
The first Topsham militia company was formed, probably, prior to 1753. The earliest date given in the records of the company is November, 1795, but the traditionary account is that it was organized earlier than this.
The roster of its officers in 1795 was as follows:-
Captain, Alexander Rogers; first lieutenant, Steele Foster; ensign, David Patten; sergeants, William Graves, James Fulton, Thomas Hunter, Daniel Graves; corporals, John Jameson, Richard Knowles, John Ripley, Robert Malcolm; fifer, David Reed; drummer, Joseph Foster, 2d.
The train band consisted of about fifty members. The first training that is mentioned in the records was had November 16, 1795. In 1805 the company numbered fifty-eight, rank and file.
In 1808 it numbered sixty-one, rank and file.
Nothing of especial interest is recorded concerning this company, except that on June 20, 1814, an alarm was given, and the company marched to Bath and remained there two days.
Inspections and reviews probably occurred each year, though they were not always made matters of record. It is said that this company was a very large one, and became disorganized at one time by electing, in sport, unfit men for officers. At length the commanding general had to appoint competent officers, and Captain John Wilson, being placed in command, brought the company up to a proper standard.
THE TOPSHAM ARTILLERY COMPANY was formed in May, 1804, although no records of an earlier date than 1818 have been found. A muster-roll of the company has been preserved bearing date September 29, 1814. At that time it belonged to the First Brigade and Eleventh Division of the Militia of Massachusetts, and was called into service and stationed at Bath. The company was commanded at the time by Captain Nathaniel Walker, numbered thirty-four, all told, and was in service from September 10 to 29, with the exception of three unfit for duty, four not notified, and ten on detached duty in forts, etc. According to traditionary accounts, Daniel Holden was the first
captain, Stephen Bradford the lieutenant, and John Holland the first ensign. The by-laws of the company were adopted May, 1818. These by-laws required an annual meeting of the company on the first Tuesday of May. The uniform was a blue coat, white kerseymere vest and pantaloons, black sword-belt, half-gaiters, neck-cloth faced, bound, and welted with red, Bonaparte hat, black cockade, and red plume.
The orderly sergeant was required to have one gun fired and the colors hoisted at sunrise on all days of public parade, and to marshal the music at least one hour previous to the roll-call, and to march with it through the several streets of the village to the gun-house.
On the decease of any member the company were required to attend the funeral under arms. To these by-laws some penal laws were annexed.
By a brigade order, not dated, but probably of date 1819, the uniform of non-commissioned officers and privates was to be "a short blue coat, trimmed with red worsted cord, gilt buttons, short buttons, small round hats or caps with a front piece ornamented with a gilt eagle, black plumes, tipped with red, red waist-belts." The hostlers were to wear "gray coats trimmed with red worsted cord and white vests" ; the rest of their uniform to be the same as that of the privates.
In 1823 the company voted that the alteration in their uniform "should consist of red morocco belts or leather painted red, to go over the shoulders and round the waist, a new round felt hat with small rim, large new frontispiece, and round cockade."
In 1824, Joseph Swett was appointed adjutant, and David Scribner, both of Topsham, quartermaster of the battalion.
In 1831 the company voted, "That the officers should be excused from furnishing any ardent spirit, on any occasion, for the company, and that the officers should pay four dollars to the benefit of said company, annually, for being thus excused." The last entry in the records was made May 2, 1846, and the disbandment of the company occurred May 19, 1851.
The arms of the company were two brass four-pounders. Until the gun-house was built they were kept in Mr. James Wilson's barn. After the disbandment of the company they were sent to the Portland arsenal, and the gun-house was sold.
In 1836 the selectmen, in accordance with a law passed a short time previously, defined. the limits of the two companies of infantry. The dividing line was Main Street and its continuance over Cathance River to Bowdoin. All west of this line was to be the limits of the
company commanded by Lieutenant Alvah Jameson, and all east to be the limits of the company commanded by Captain Holman Staples.
THE BRUNSWICK LIGHT INFANTRY was organized in May, 1804. Its officers were Thomas S. Estabrook, captain; Caleb Cushing, first lieutenant; and Robert D. Dunning, second lieutenant. The records of the company have not been found, and consequently but little is known of their doings. In 1825, Saturday, June 25, LaFayette made his visit to Portland, and this company, under the command of Captain John A. Dunning, attended to assist in escort duty, and were received by the Portland Rifle Company. They celebrated their thirty-eighth anniversary on the seventeenth of June, 1842. Shortly after this time this company became disorganized, but on July 21, 1854, it was reorganized under the title of "D Company Light Infantry," and the following officers were chosen at that time: John A. Cleaveland, captain; Andrew T. Campbell, first lieutenant; Charles Pettingill, second lieutenant; John H. Humphreys, third, and John P. Owen, fourth lieutenant. This company turned out June 27, 1855, for target practice, and William R. Field, Jr., got the prize for being the best marksman. The prize was a silver cup. The company bad its first annual parade and inspection on the thirtieth of May preceding. On September of the next year, 1856, the company attended muster in Bath, and about August 7, 1857, it disbanded.
THE BRUNSWICK AND TOPSHAM RIFLE COMPANY was organized in 1821. No records have been preserved of this company, and nothing is known of its doings. A. B. Thompson was the first captain.
In 1806 and 1807 three other infantry companies and an artillery company were formed. One of these infantry companies was commanded by Captain Joseph Dusten, and had its headquarters at Maquoit. The village company was under command of Captain Richard T. Dunlap. The New Meadows company was commanded by Captain Peter Jordan, who died in May, 1876, the last surviving member of the company. Early in 1807, Samuel Page and others petitioned the proper authorities for the organization of an ARTILLERY COMPANY. In compliance with the wish expressed in this petition, a brigade order was issued, directing the proper steps to be taken for the accomplish-ment of this object, and Mr. Lemuel Swift was directed "to raise a com-pany of artillery out of the foot companies of the town of Brunswick, by voluntary enlistment." The company was at once organized, and Peter O. Alden was chosen as its first captain. He is said to have
procured the first bass drum ever brought to town. This company had two six pounder brass guns in its gun-house on Centre Street.
In addition to the above companies there was a cavalry company, of which a few members belonged in Brunswick and Topsham, and others in Lisbon and Durham. Captain Jack, of Litchfield, was the com-manding officer, and a Mr. Baker of Topsham was the lieutenant.
There were, about 1812, two infantry companies in Harpswell, which were organized about 1776. The Harpswell Neck company was commanded, in 1812, by Captain David Johnson, and Peleg Cur-tis was the lieutenant. The Harpswell Island company was commanded by Captain Stephen Snow, and Paul Snow was the lieutenant. In 1832, Isaiah S. Trufant was chosen captain of the island company, in place of John M. Purinton, and Humphrey Snow ensign, in place of Eli Hodgdon.1
In 1835 the selectmen defined the limits of the companies of militia as follows: The limits of Captain Hudson Merryman's company were all that part of Great Island northwest of a line drawn from Long Reach to Strawberry Creek, together with Orr's, Bailey's. Haskell's. Flag, Whaleboat, and Birch Islands, and the Neck. The limits of Captain John M. Purinton's company were all that part of Great Island southeast of a line drawn from Long Reach to Strawberry Creek.
In 1836, Simeon Stover, 2d, commanded the first-mentioned, and Isaiah Trufant the last-named company.
As early as 1801 a feeling of hostility against Great Britain was engendered in this vicinity by the impressment of sailors, and was displayed by the formation of military companies and other military preparations.
All of the Brunswick companies went to Bath during the war of 1812, and served for a short period. There were one or two British vessels there, and the soldiers from them used occasionally to land and commit depredations, until General King called out the militia. There were in all three hundred and twenty men from Brunswick on duty at Bath.
One of the regiments on service in this war, in the division of
General King, was commanded by Colonel Abel Merrill, of Topsham, an efficient and accomplished officer.
In Harpswell, at this time, a fort was built commanding the entrance of New Meadows River. A few soldiers were stationed in it to intercept the boats carrying supplies to the English vessels outside. Orders were given to have every boat or vessel report at the fort in passing in or out, and to sink every boat neglecting to report after the usual warning. Some of the fishermen thought these orders were too strict, and said they would not report to the guard if he sunk their boats. One of these men, named Dingley, being bound out on a short fishing cruise, attempted to pass the guard when ordered to report, but was fired at, and his boat hit. It began to fill, and he barely made out to reach the shore with it. This put a stop to the boats running that fort. The guard's name was Seth Wilson.
On one occasion during the war, James Sinnett, of Bailey's Island, then a young man twenty-three years of age, with two brothers younger than himself, went out fishing. While engaged in this pur-suit they saw a large vessel approaching which they thought to be American. When she came within hailing distance, they asked her name, and were told she was the Essex, an American man-of-war. Young Sinnett and his brothers then came alongside, and, by invitation, went aboard. When they reached the deck they were asked to go into the cabin and see the captain. They did so, and were informed by him that they were aboard the English man-of-war The Rattler, and that they were his prisoners! He however assured them that he should do them no harm, and should hold them captive only for a few weeks. He said his object in making them prisoners was to obtain the use of their fishing craft to reconnoitre the coast without suspicion. Accordingly he put twenty of his men aboard Sinnett's boat with instructions to cruise about the bays and rivers in the vicinity, and to report to him any discoveries which they made. At the end of a week they returned, and Sinnett and his brothers were discharged. During their captivity they were kindly treated and well fed.
At the time the British men-of-war were in the Kennebec River, and the division of militia were ordered out by General King, Captain Johnson, of the Harpswell company, notified his men to prepare quickly to march to Bath. After consultation, however, with some of the residents of Bailey's Island, Captain Johnson decided to leave on that island, as a guard, all the able-bodied men of his command who resided there. This was done on account of this island being particularly exposed to the danger of attacks from the enemy's
cruisers, which were hovering about the coast all the time. Accordingly, while Captain Johnson and the rest of his company went to Bath, the Bailey's Island men, under command of Captain James Sinnett, kept guard night and day on their own ground.
Before Captain Johnson's return, Captain Sinnett noticed a small coaster standing in by Small Point, closely pursued by a schooner. The coaster came in between Pond and Ram Islands, and the schooner, not daring to follow, manned a barge to continue the pursuit. They both came into Water Cove, and the crew of the barge were about to board the coaster, when Captain Sinnett sent a man - John Ham, of Bowdoin, who was stopping temporarily on the island - to hail the barge. Ham did hail, and asked the commander what he wanted. The reply was, "The coasting sloop." "You can't have her," answered Ham, "and we will give you a reasonable time to leave, or we will sink your barge." Upon this the commander of the barge quietly drew off. Mr. Jonathan Johnson was very anxious to fire upon the intruders, but was prevented from doing so by his officers.1 Nothing further has been obtained in regard to the participation of these towns in this war, except the list of soldiers engaged in it, which will be found in the Appendix.
After the close of this war the military spirit was still kept alive, and the companies did not any of them disband for several years. The different towns also took care to see that a stock of ammunition was kept on hand, and the town of Brunswick in 1816 authorized the selectmen to build a new powder-house, at an expense of one hundred and fifty dollars.
In 1825, Captain John C. Humphreys was chosen lieutenant-colonel of the Second Regiment, First Brigade, Fourth Division of State Militia, and Joseph Demeritt was appointed quartermaster.
In 1829, Major Andrew Dennison was elected colonel, and Captain John A. Dunning major, of this same regiment. They were all Brunswick men.
The MECHANIC VOLUNTEERS, of Brunswick, was organized in 1836. Who the first officers were is unknown. In 1843, John A. Cleaveland was elected captain, George S. Elliot, lieutenant, and William K. Melcher, ensign.
Musters for review and parade were of almost annual occurrence in these towns in former times. The earliest one known to have taken place was in Brunswick in 1809. It was a brigade review. Similar
inspections were held in Brunswick almost every year up to 1825, when it was held at Bath. In 1829 the Brunswick Light Infantry Company and the Rifle Company were notified to appear for duty, July 4, probably for escort duty, and a dinner was given them at the Tontine Hotel. September 21, 1836, the Second Regiment of First Brigade and Fourth Division was inspected in Brunswick, and on September 14, 1842, the annual inspection and review of all the mili-tary in this vicinity took place there. The line was formed on Maine Street in the morning, and about half past ten the line of march was taken up for the parade ground, about a mile from the village on the river road. It was stated in the papers at that time that the light infantry and volunteers of Brunswick and the rifle companies of Topsham and Durham deserved especial notice "for their neat uniforms and good discipline." In 1844 there was a muster, on the twenty-third of September, of the First Brigade of the Fourth Division and attached independent companies, and this is the last occurrence of the kind in this vicinity, so far as known, prior to 1861.
At a muster which occurred on September 25, 1822, some difficulty arose in regard to the proper place in the line for certain companies. The trouble culminated in a court-martial.1
BURLESQUE MUSTERS. - In 1836 the law required all persons tem-porarily sojourning in a place, who were liable to military duty, to turn out for a general muster in May. That year the students of Bowdoin College being warned to appear, and not wishing to refuse to obey a legal summons, but disliking the duty, appeared in fantastic and gro-tesque costumes. They appeared in the same manner in 1837, and although the obnoxious law was soon repealed, the custom was kept up by the students for many years, a burlesque "May training" having occurred as late as 1856.
When the Third Maine Regiment passed through Brunswick in 1861, on its way to the seat of war, a salute was fired and a collation pro-vided. That town was zealous in its support of the national govern-ment, and not only voted this year $1,500 to pay the expenses of recruiting, clothing, and fitting out volunteers from the town, but also voted to pay each volunteer "a sum sufficient, with what is paid by government, to equal twenty dollars per month during the time they
may be in the public service," and appropriated $5,000 for the support of the families of those who enlisted.
At the annual meeting in 1862, the town of Brunswick voted to furnish assistance to the families of such of the inhabitants as were in the service of their country, either in the army or navy, and to those who should thereafter engage in such service, to such amount as pro-vided for by an Act of the legislature, so long as they should continue in the service. The treasurer was authorized to borrow $6,000 for the purpose. The town also voted to guarantee the payment to each and every volunteer, who enlisted under the last call for troops, or who should enlist by the fourth day of August, in either of the regiments of the State which were then in the field or in either of the new regi-ments to be formed, and who should be actually mustered into the service of the United States as one of the quota of the town under the recent call for troops, one hundred dollars over and above the boun-ties offered by the State and the United States, to be paid at the time of being mustered in. This time was afterwards extended. The town also voted to hire $5,200 for the above purpose, and a rallying committee of thirty-three was chosen to induce enlistments. Though the large majority of the citizens of Brunswick were intensely loyal, there were some lukewarm ones and a few "Southern sympathizers," who apparently desired to see the Southern Confederacy firmly established. One of these individuals was said to have given encouragement to the Confederates by his letters, and the case was made known through the public press. To show the sentiment of the town, the following resolutions were passed at this meeting:-
"Whereas, W. S. Lindsey, a member of the British Parliament, is reported to have stated in his place in that body that he had lately received a letter from a `citizen of strong Union feeling in Brunswick, in the State of Maine, expressing his hope for British intervention in the contest now going on,'
" Therefore, <,i>Resolved, That the citizens of this town will spare no pains to discover and ascertain whether this declaration thus made by a member of Parliament is a fabrication, or whether we really have among us such a black-hearted hypocrite, traitor, and knave, as could thus seek to add the calamity of a foreign war to our present distresses.
"<,i>Resolved, That we need something more than such a naked declaration to convince us that there is in our midst such a compound of the villain and the fool; but if it should prove that there is, be it further
"<,i>Resolved, That we will purge the fair fame of our town by
consigning him to the deserved punishment of all traitors, whenever he shall be discovered.
"Resolved unanimously, That the citizens of this town abhor the idea of foreign interference in the affairs of the Republic. That we will always resist, to the utmost of our power, the intervention of any monarch or potentate whatever against our government, and that we hold in utter detestation the fiend or fool who would seek to bring such a thing about.
"Resolved, That Brunswick is no home for traitors, and that if any lurk here pretending to be men 'of strong Union feelings,' while secretly sympathizing with the rebels in arms against our government, they had better remove before they are discovered.
"Voted, That a copy of the above resolves be signed by the moderator and clerk of this meeting and be sent, one to the Honorable Freeman H. Morse, and one to the Honorable Charles F. Train at London, and that a copy be sent for publishment in the Portland Press, Boston Journal, and the Brunswick Telegraph."
At a special meeting, held August 23, the town voted to guarantee to each volunteer who should enlist in any of the nine months' regiments, between that date and the time fixed for a draft, the sum of twenty dollars, to be paid when such person has been accepted by the governor as a part of the quota of the town. It was also voted to hire nine hundred and twenty dollars for the above-named purpose, and a committee was chosen to solicit subscriptions for a volunteer fund, to make up the sum of fifty dollars to each volunteer.
At another meeting, held August 30, the town voted an additional sum of eighty dollars for nine months' volunteers, making a total of one hundred dollars. It was also voted to hire $3,680 for this purpose.
[1863.] At the March meeting in 1863, the towns voted to furnish aid to the families of persons in the service of the national govern-ment, either in the army or navy, to the extent allowed by the law of the State, and to such an amount as the State had agreed or might hereafter agree to refund to the town. The treasurer was directed to hire for this purpose, as a temporary loan, $6,000.
At a special meeting, held August 17, the selectmen were directed to pay each drafted man who was, in person or by substitute, mustered into the United States service, a bounty of three hundred dollars. Payment was to be made as soon as practicable after such drafted man or substitute had been mustered into service. It was also voted to hire $20,000 for this purpose.
At a special meeting, held November 21, the town voted to pay two hundred and fifty dollars each to volunteers credited as part of
the quota of the town, under the call of the President, dated October 17, 1863. It was also voted to hire $14,000 for this purpose. On December 1, an additional bounty of fifty dollars was voted, which brought the whole up to three hundred dollars. Voted to hire $2,800 for the additional bounty.
[1864.] At the annual meeting of the town in 1864, it was voted that the debt of the town incurred in raising money for the pay-ment of bounties, and expenses connected therewith, should be funded as authorized by the Act of February 20, 1864, and that bonds there-for should be issued in such sums as the selectmen and town treasurer deemed most for the interest of the town. The bonds to be payable after three, and not exceeding twenty years, at the pleasure of the town, with coupons attached, bearing yearly interest not exceeding six per cent, payable semiannually.
The selectmen and treasurer were authorized to issue such bonds to the amount of $35,000. The town also, at this meeting, voted aid to the families of soldiers as heretofore, and to borrow $7,000 for the purpose.
At a special meeting, held August 8, the selectmen were authorized to expend a sum not exceeding twenty-five dollars per man, of the town's proportion of troops required by the call of July 18, 1864, in paying recruiting agents and other necessary expenses of procuring enlistments. It was also voted to pay each recruit raised to fill the quota of the town. under the last-mentioned call, such bounty as the recruit might be entitled to receive from the State, according to the terms of General Order, No. 27, issued from the adjutant-general's office, July 20, 1864, said bounty to be reimbursed to the town from the State treasury agreeably to the provisions of Chapter 227, of the laws of 1864. It was also voted to hire $1,550 for recruiting purposes and $12,000 for paying bounties.
At another meeting, held August 15, a bounty of five hundred dol-lars for three years' men, four hundred dollars for two years' men, and three hundred dollars for one year's men, was voted to enrolled men furnishing substitutes, under the call of July 18, 1864. It was also voted to pay volunteers enlisting to fill the quota under said call the same sums as bounties as were paid to enrolled men furnishing substitutes, and to pay a bounty of three hundred dollars to men who may be drafted under that call. Voted to borrow $20,000 for the above pur-poses, and the selectmen were authorized to appoint recruiting agents to fill the quota of July 18, 1864.
[1865.] At a special meeting, held February 11, 1865, the town voted to raise $1,300, to be expended in paying the expenses of
recruiting to fill the town's quota of troops, under the call of December 19, 1864. It was also voted to pay each volunteer, each enrolled man furnishing a substitute, and each drafted man entering the service of the United States in person or by substitute, three hundred dollars for one year, four hundred dollars for two years, and five hundred dollars for three years. An additional bounty of fifty dollars was also voted to each veteran volunteer who had served at least two years and had been honorably discharged, and twenty-five dollars to each volunteer who had served at least nine months. The town voted to raise $25,000 for the above bounties. At the annual town-meeting this year, it was voted to aid the families of soldiers and sailors as heretofore, and $7,000 was raised for the purpose.
The earliest reference to this war found in the town records is dated May 1, 1861. At a special meeting of the town held at this time, the selectmen were authorized to make proper provision for the support of the families of all persons having a legal residence in town, who might enlist in accordance with an Act of the State, passed at the extra session of the legislature, and approved April 25, 1861, during their absence from the State, and whose families might stand in need of assistance, and the selectmen were authorized to borrow the money necessary for the purpose, or to assess the town therefor. It was also at this meeting voted to pay all persons who volunteered their services to the government, eight dollars per month while they were away on duty.
[1862.] At the annual meeting in 1862, the selectmen were authorized to raise money for the support of the families of volunteers.
At a meeting held July 26 the town voted to give a bounty of one hundred dollars over and above the bounties paid by the State and the United States, for each volunteer who had enlisted "under the last call for troops," or who might enlist up to the time of drafting (dating from July 26, 1862), in either of the regiments of the State that was already in the field, or that should be formed, provided he was finally accepted and mustered into the service of the United States as one of the quota of the town, under the recent call for troops. The selectmen were also authorized to hire $1,800 for the purpose, or so much of that sum as might be necessary.
There being some question as to whether this action of the town would be legalized by the legislature, forty-six citizens pledged themselves, to the amount of fifty dollars each, to indemnify the selectmen if the doings of the town were not legalized.
At a meeting of the town held August 29 it was voted to pay a bounty of one hundred dollars to each volunteer who would enlist in the service of the United States, under a call from the President for 300,000 men for nine months, and it was also voted to raise $2,500 for the purpose, or so much thereof as might be necessary.
Sixty-five citizens pledged themselves to indemnify the selectmen in the sum of fifty dollars each, should the action of the town not be legalized by the legislature.
At a meeting held December 6 the town voted to reimburse all those citizens who had subscribed money for volunteers. The town also at this meeting voted to raise three hundred dollars for the needy families of soldiers
[1863.] At the annual meeting in 1863 the town voted to raise seven hundred dollars to be paid as bounties for soldiers.
At a meeting held July 18 it was voted to pay drafted men, or those who provided substitutes, three hundred dollars each.
At a meeting of the town, August 27, the selectmen were author-ized to pay drafted men, or those who provided substitutes, three hundred dollars each, and to procure a loan for the purpose, not exceed-ing $5,000, for a term of years, and bearing interest annually.
At a meeting held November 7, it was voted to pay each volunteer one hundred dollars, whether new recruit or veteran.
The treasurer was authorized to raise by loan sufficient money to pay this bounty for a number not exceeding twenty-one volunteers.
At a meeting on December 2, it was voted to pay two hundred dol-lars more in addition to the one hundred dollars voted in November for volunteers. The treasurer was authorized to borrow a sum not exceeding $6,300 for this purpose.
[1864.] At a meeting held January 6, the selectmen were in-structed to raise a sum of money, not to exceed $1,000, for the purpose of obtaining and paying volunteers, and they were also instructed to take such measures as in their judgment seemed best to fill the quota of the town.
In August it was voted to pay a bounty of five hundred dollars to enrolled men furnishing substitutes previous to the draft under the last call (July 18, 1864) of the President of the United States for 500,000 men for three years, to pay a bounty of four hundred dollars to those furnishing substitutes for two years, and to pay a bounty of three hundred dollars to those furnishing substitutes for one year, to be paid after the substitutes were accepted and mustered into service on the quota of the town under said call. The selectmen were also
authorized and directed to pay volunteers, enlisting to fill the quota of the town under said call, the same sums as bounties, for the same periods as are before stated, and to pay a bounty of three hundred dollars to men who might be drafted under said call, to be paid after such volunteers and drafted men were accepted and mustered into service on the quota of the town under said call. The selectmen were also authorized and directed to pay to men drafted under said call, and furnishing substitutes, the same sums as bounties, for the same periods as before stated, to be paid after such substitutes were accepted and mustered into service on the quota of the town. It was voted to raise by loan $15,000 for this purpose.
[1865.] At a special meeting, held January 21, 1865, to see if the town would vote to accept the surplus men already enlisted and take measures to pay them, it was voted to accept them, and that the money raised August 17, 1864, be appropriated to pay the men so far as was necessary. The selectmen were authorized to take such action as they deemed best to provide men and means in case of another call, which was then anticipated.
At the annual meeting, the town voted that the selectmen be author-ized to raise $5,000 to be expended in raising men for the government.
[1867.] At the annual meeting this year, the selectmen were authorized to raise a sum not exceeding $10,000, at not more than seven and three tenths per cent interest, to meet the liabilities of the town. It was also voted to fund the town debt and issue bonds to the amount of the debt, payable, one fourth of the sum in five years, one fourth in ten years, one fourth in fifteen years, and one fourth in twenty years ; said bonds to bear six per cent interest, payable semi-annually, and to be disposed of to the best advantage by the select-men as fast as necessary, to meet the liabilities of the town for its existing indebtedness.
[1868.] At the annual meeting in 1868, the town voted that the sum to be raised to fund the debt of the town, as authorized by the town in 1867, be limited to $20,000.
[1862.] The earliest action of the town of Harpswell having reference to the late civil war was at a special meeting, held July 21, 1862. At this meeting the town voted to raise money to induce men to enlist as volunteers in the army. They voted to raise $2,000, and pay each man who might enlist or be drafted one hundred dollars when
mustered into the service. A committee of four, namely, Albert T. Tru-fant, Lemuel II. Stover, Alexander Ewing, and Alcot S. Merryman, was chosen to procure the quota of men required from Harpswell, and to pay the same their bounty. The selectmen were also authorized to furnish aid to families of volunteers at their discretion.
There appears to have been a doubt as to the legality of the above action of the town ; and in order that the votes might be carried into effect, a number of prominent citizens signed a paper agreeing to indemnify the selectmen in case the action of the town was not legal-ized by the legislature of the State. The amount pledged was $3,270.
On the fifth of September it was also voted to pay each man who should enlist into the United States service one hundred dollars as a bounty for him to enlist as one of the nine-months' men, under the call of the President, of August, 1862, and to continue paying it until the draft was commenced, unless their quota should be full before. The bounty was also to be extended to those enlisting in old regiments, if reckoned as a part of Harpswell's quota. It was also voted to extend aid to the families of those who enlisted, if in the opinion of the select-men any aid was needed. The selectmen were also chosen a committee to, solicit men to enlist and to pay the bounties.
At a special meeting, held on September 12, it was voted to place the bounty at two hundred dollars per man, instead of one hundred, and the town treasurer was authorized to hire money for the purpose of paying these bounties.
[1863.] Several town-meetings were held in 1863. At one, held on June 29, the town voted to raise three hundred dollars for each drafted man in Harpswell under the Conscription Act, and to place the money in the hands of the selectmen to be used in paying the bounty to those who were mustered into the United States service, or in furnishing substitutes, or in paying fines for those who were liable to be mustered under said Act. The selectmen were authorized to hire the money for this purpose. At a subsequent meeting, held July 25, the above action of the town was reconsidered, and the article in the warrant under which the vote was passed was laid on the table. A vote was then passed similar to the foregoing, except that instead of paying cash, the selectmen were authorized to give "town orders" for the amounts, the orders to be on interest at six per cent, and to run for ten years, or at the discretion of the town for a less period.
At a meeting held October 6, David Webber and Sylvester Stover were elected a committee to hire money to take up the town orders. On November 7, Lemuel H. Stover was delegated to go to
Augusta and confer with the adjutant-general and governor, concern-ing an enlistment of non-residents, and also in regard to having the enrolment reduced. On November 24 it was voted to raise $8,250, to induce men to enlist to fill the town's quota of volunteers, under the call of the President, dated October 17, 1863. The selectmen were instructed to hire the money, and to pay each man two hundred and seventy-five dollars, or less, and if they could not fill the entire quota to obtain as many as they could.
[1864.] On March 7, 1864, a special meeting was called to see what method the town would take to answer the call of the President, of February, 1864, for more men, and whether they would vote to raise money for bounties, etc. This article was "dispensed with," and the meeting adjourned. At a special meeting, held August 1, Lemuel H. Stover was chosen an agent to go to Augusta, and confer with the adjutant-general and governor as to the best method of filling the quota of Harpswell under the call of the President, of July 18, for 500,000 volunteers. The meeting was adjourned to August 8, at which time it was voted to instruct the selectmen to issue to each enrolled man under the above call a town order of three hundred dollars when mustered into the service, the order to be on interest, and to be in addition to the State and United States bounties. The selectmen were also to appoint an agent to procure recruits, and it was voted to raise eight hundred and seventy-five dollars to pay the expenses of the agent. This vote to issue town orders for three hundred dollars was, however, rescinded at a meeting held August 25, and it was then voted to raise $15,000 by issue of town notes to that amount, payable in five years (or at the option of the town in a less time), the money to be disbursed by the agent as follows: Three hundred dollars to each man who should enlist or furnish a substitute for one year, four hundred dollars for two years, and five hundred dollars for three years, under the call of the President, of July 18.
[1865.] On January 17, 1865, the town voted that each enrolled man who enlisted upon the quota of Harpswell, under the last call of the President, or any future call, should receive from the town the sum of three hundred dollars for one year, four hundred dollars for two years, and five hundred dollars for three years, either in scrip or money, at the option of the selectmen; and each enrolled person who might have, or should furnish, two hundred dollars for the procure-ment of a substitute to represent him, in the army or navy, upon the quota of Harpswell, under the last call, or any future call, should
receive from the town a sufficient sum for that purpose, either in scrip or money, provided it did not exceed three hundred dollars for a one-year, four hundred dollars for a two-years, or five hundred dollars for a three-years substitute. L. H. Stover was chosen the agent to pro-cure substitutes and to expend the money. At a meeting held February 20, the town voted to receive recruits to fill their quota from those who were not enrolled. It was also voted to raise $5,000 in addition to the sum raised on the twenty-fifth day of August, 1864.
At the annual March meeting, it was voted "that the selectmen and treasurer of the town of Harpswell be authorized and instructed to fund the war debt of the town of Harpswell, which has already accrued, and also for what may be necessary to be raised to fill the remainder of the quota of the town under the last call of the President, and issue town bonds with coupons attached, bearing six per cent semiannual interest. The funded debt not to exceed, under any circumstances, thirty thousand dollars, said bond to be given running not over twenty years, and in such manner that at least fifteen hundred dollars of said bonds shall become due each successive year."
For a complete list of the volunteers, drafted men, and substitutes in the army or navy, from each town; the reader is referred to the Appendix.
End of Chapter XXVI Part II End of Part II
|Wheeler & Wheeler Home||About Wheeler & Wheeler||Curtis Memorial Library Home|
|Previous Chapter||Table of Contents||Next Chapter|