|Wheeler & Wheeler Home||About Wheeler & Wheeler||Curtis Memorial Library Home|
|Previous Chapter||Table of Contents||Next (Appendix 1)|
PART III, CHAPTER 2.
|abt. - about.||dau. - daughter.|
|b. - born.||m. - married.|
|d. -died.||s. - single.|
|ch. - child or children.||(Biog.) - see Biographical sketch.|
|bap. - baptized.||wf. - wife.|
JACOB ANDERSON, son of the above Jacob, was b. in Freeport. He left there to join Washington's army at Cambridge the next morning after the news of the battle of Lexington reached Maine. After the close of the war of the Revolution, he removed to Brunswick, and cleared a farm lying between the Woodside and Ross farms, on the main road from Brunswick to Freeport. His son, Martin Anderson, was born on the farm above mentioned in 1789. Subsequently to 1812 he removed to Freeport, and from there to Bath. He died at the house of his son, Reverend M. B. Anderson, D. D., Rochester, N.Y., Dec., 7, 1875.
JAMES BARBIDGE, or BABBIDGE, a husbandman residing at North Yarmouth, was born about 1697, at Uffculme, Devonshire, England, and was a son of James and Prudence Babbidge, whose other children were a dau., Tampson, who m. John Brumfield, and sons Peter, Courtney, and William. (From "Deposition of James Barbidge, of North Yarmouth, Maine, 1730.) (N. E. H. & G. Reg. Vol., 13.)
The Harpswell town records contain the record of the death of a James Babbidge, August 11, 1764, aged 78. He was therefore born 1686. It is not improbable that he is the James alluded to as having been born in 1697, and that a mistake has been made in one or the other statement.
A COURTNEY BABBIDGE m. 1st, Sarah, dau. of James Bibber, abt. 1754. They had ch.:- Sarah, b. No. Yarmouth, 1756; William, b. Harpswell, 1758; Stephen, b. 1760; Courtney, b. 1761; Betty, b. 1763; Susanna, b. 1766.
He m. 2d, Abigail, dau. of Wm. Booker; ch., William, b. 1769.
DEACON TIMOTHY BAILEY, of Hanover, Mass., was a descendant in the 3d generation of JOHN, of Scituate. He m. 1st, Sarah Buck, May 27, 1731, who d. Oct. 9, 1740. He m. 2d, Hannah Curtis, June 9, 1742, and with his wife was recommended to the church in North Yarmouth. He settled on Bailey's Island, then a part of North Yarmouth. Ch.:- Olive, b. May, 1735, d. May 26, 1736; Timothy, b. June, 1737, d. young; Sarah, b. March 13, 1739; ch. by second wife were:- Delight, b. June 12, 1745; Olive, bap. May 15, 1748: Timothy, bap. Oct. 13, 1757.
"BARSTOW, - Naburn Hall, York, Ermine on a ferre sable, three crescents, or, crest, a horse's head, couped or."
This family came from the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. Four brothers of this name came early to this country and settled at Cambridge, Watertown, and Dedham. Their names were George, Michael, John, and
JAMES BARSTOW, son of Joshua, was b. in Hanover, Mass., Oct. 8, 1744, and m. Agnes, daughter of Wm. Wyer, of Boston, and settled in Harpswell, and was the ancestor of all of that name in this vicinity, and d. Feb. 17, 1827.
Ch. were:- Elizabeth, b. 1777; Joshua, b. 1781; William, b. 1784; Robert, b. 1785; Agnes, b. 1788.
JOSEPH BERRY was b. at New Meadows, Brunswick, Sept. 26, 1740. His parents had previously resided at "Berry's Mills" in Bath, then called Georgetown. Nothing has been obtained as regards his ancestors. He m. 1st, Feb. 1767, Jane, the second dau. of Capt. Adam Hunter, of Topsham;. 2d, Jennett, a dau. of Deacon James Henry, the cooper of Topsham. Ch. were by first wife, --Adam, b. Jan. 25, 1769, unmarried. Was lost at sea, date unknown ; Joseph, b. about 1772, unmarried, d. in 1810. By 2d wife:- Jenny, m. Crispus Graves, date of birth and death unknown; John, b. ---, m. a Simpson, d. in Demerara, March 18, 1803; Hannah, d. in infancy; Robert, b. April 28, 1786, single; was drowned at Cathance, May 17, 1835; Rufus, b. May 25, 1789, -nothing else known; Josiah, b. March 22, 1792; single, drowned near Seguin, Sept. 27, 1817, as he was coming from Portland in a small boat; Harvey, b. Sept. 19, 1798,-nothing else known.
Joseph Berry, either prior to or after his marriage, settled in Topsham. During the last Indian war he is said to have been captured by the Indians and carried to Canada It appears from an entry in the office of the Registry of Deeds that Dec. 28, 1768, he received of James Hunter one hundred acres of the N. W. parts of lots Nos 30 and 31 in Topsham. He was one of the Committee of Correspondence and Safety in 1785.
The common ancestor of all of this family in New England was Thomas Besbidge, as the name was formerly called and spelled. He came from England in the spring of 1634. He is known to have had three children, viz. Elisha; Alice, who m. John Bourne; Mary, who m. William Brown of Sudbury.
OLIVER BISBEE, of the sixth generation from Thomas, was b. in Duxbury, Mass., June 10, 1762 He was a ship-carpenter. He m. 1st, Huldah Simmons, of Duxbury, and, prior to 1790, he moved to Brunswick and settled at New Meadows. His ch. was, by 1st wf.:- Huldah, b. Oct 4, 1791, m. Edward McIntire.
He m. for 2d wife. Persis Simmons, a sister of his 1st wf., Sept. 22, 1792. Ch. were:- Rufus, b. Jan. 12, 1792; Studley, b. July 10, 1795; Hannah, b. April 18, 1797, single; William, b. July 4, 1799, m. Hannah Prior; Aaron, b. Oct. 10, 1802, m. Nancy Conley; Seth, b. Sept. 27, 1804, m. Maria Larrabee; Sarah, b. Aug. 3, 1806, m. James Tebbetts.
CHARLES BISBEE, Jr., of the sixth generation from Thomas, was b. in 1757, and m. Desire Dingley, of Marshfield. He was a jeweller and watch repairer,
This family is of English origin, the name being quite common in England.
JOHN BOOKER came from England about 1707 and settled at York. It is probable that he was accompanied by a brother who settled further east. He m. Hester, dau. of Thomas Adams of York, by whom he had eight ch., in York, between the years 1713 and 1728.
JAMES BOOKER, the sixth ch. of John of York, was b. Dec. 18, 1723. He m., in York, Mercy Young, dau. of Benaiah Young, Nov. 11, 1747, and settled on Harpswell Neck, near the Old meeting-house, soon after his marriage. He was a deacon of the Congregational Church and was a selectman in 1762. He ran a freighting vessel from Harpswell to Boston and the intermediate ports, carrying largely wood and bringing east general merchandise. He was the progenitor of the Bookers now residing in Brunswick and vicinity. Ch. were:- James, b. Dec. 25, 1748 O. S.; Jotham, b. July 3, 1750 O. S.; Ruth and Joseph, b. May 27, 1753, N. S.; Miriam, b. June 23, 1755; Daniel, b. Nov. 14, 1756; Mercy, b. May 6, 1758; Daniel, b. Feb. 25, 1760; Isaiah, b. Jan. 5, 1762; William, b. Oct. 9, 1763; Ester, b. Nov. 21, 1765.
The first of this name to whom reference has been found was JUDAH CHASE, who settled in Brunswick about 1752. He was the ancestor of the Brunswick family of that name. His wife's name was Margaret. He d. in 1804. Ch. were:- Anne, b. Mch. 3, 1753; James, b. Mch. 23, 1755; Mary, b. Aug. 5, 1757; Isaac, b. Aug. 27, 1759; William Vincent, b. Nov. 2, 1761; Anthony, b. Oct. 2, 1763; Judah, b. Nov. 16, 1765; Margaret, b. Nov. 7, 1767; Nathaniel, b. Jan. 17, 1770; Jean, b. Apr. 18, 1772.
SAMUEL CLARK and his wife Martha were both born in Ireland, but may have been m. in Boston. He settled at Middle Bay, Brunswick, about 1739. He was a deacon in the First Parish Church in Brunswick.
Ch. were:- John, b. Dec. 11, 1730; Mary, b. Nov. 1, 1732; Robert, b. April 18, 1735; Samuel, b. May 22, 1737; Nathan, b. July 2,1739; Margaret, b. Aug. 1, 1741; James, b. May 19,1745; David, b. Mch. 29, 1748; Nathan, b. Feb. 5, 1751; John, b. Oct. 27, 1754.
The name of the father of the first of the family who came to this vicinity has not been ascertained; but he was a Frenchman, who settled first in Plymouth County, and subsequently lived in Newburyport. He is known to have had children,- Peter, Anthony, and John.
PETER COOMBS came to Brunswick about 1730, and settled first on Howard's Point, a short distance below the Bartlett Adams place. He afterwards moved to the Freeman Gross Place (near Harding's Station), where he remained to his death. Ch:- George, Peter, Samuel, and Caleb.
JOHN COOMBS settled on Great Island, Harpswell, and was the grandfather of Elisha, Anthony, John, and Isaac.
ARMS : Arg. a chev. sa. betw. three bulls' heads, cabossed, gu.
CREST : A unicorn pass or betw. four trees ppr.
The Curtis family are descended from an ancient English family settled in the counties of Kent and Sussex. William Curtis, the ancestor of nearly all of that name in New England, came over in the Lion in 1632.
DAVID CURTIS, of the third generation from William, m. Bethia Sprague, of Duxbury, Dec. 14. 1732. Moved to Harpswell about 1744. He was the ancestor of all the name in this vicinity. Ch. were (b. In Hanover, Mass.):- Nehemiah, b. 1733; Ezekiel, b. 1735; Paul, b. 1737; Michael, b. 1739; David, b. 1741; Ruth, b. 1743.
The ancestor of all of this name in this vicinity was MATTHEW, who, with his wife Nazareth, his sons Daniel, Jeremiah, Matthew, and John, his daughter Deborah, and his wife's sister, Francis Ricroft, widow, sailed from Gravesend, April 26, 1638, in the ship Diligent, and arrived in Boston, Aug. 10.
CALEB CUSHING (see Biog.), s. of Timothy, was b. in Cohasset, Mass., April 2, 1777; came to Brunswick in Sept., 1797. He m. in 1801, Mary Dunning, dau. of John Dunning. She d. Nov. 13, 1808. He m. again, Dec. 5, 1814, Dolly Owen, dau. of Philip Owen. She d. in Augusta, April 29, 1865, aged 78 yrs. He d. April 14, 1838. Ch. were:- Rufus King, b. July 23, 1802; Louis Tileston, b. June 24, 1804; Francis Dunning, b. Jan. 20, 1807; John Schwartkin, b. Sept 12, 1808.
It is said to be a curious fact that through the whole genealogic line of the Cushing family a strict adherence to Scripture Christian names has been observed, and that the first middle name occurring since 1638 was that of the oldest son of Caleb.
"In the year of our Lord 770, in the reign of Solvathious, king of Scotts, one Donald Bane of the Western Isles, having invaded the Scotch territories and routed the royal army, a man of rank and figure came seasonably with his friends and followers to the king's assistance; he renewed the battle, and obtained a complete victory over the invader. The king, being desirous to see the man who had done him so signal a piece of service, he was pointed out to him, by his color or complexion in these words of the old Gallic or Celtic language,- SHOLTO Du GLAS, in English "Behold that black or swarthy colored man," from which he was named Sholto the Douglas. The king royally rewarded his great services, and gave him a grant of several lands and large possessions in the County of Lanark. which were called Douglas; and from hence came the surname of the family." (From "Scottish Peerage.")
The first of the name in New England is said to have been JOHN DOUGLAS, who was b. in Scotland about 1695. At the age of 12 he was kidnapped by the
ELIJAH DOUGLAS, s. of the above-named John, was b. in Middleborough in 1720. He married (1st) April 27, 1742, Phebe Taylor, she died about 1749. He m. (2d) Elizabeth, dau. of Edward and Patience Estes, of Harpswell. Soon after the death of his first wife, in 1750, Elijah, with two sons, moved to Maine, and bought with Benj. Winslow one half of New Damariscove Island, in Casco Bay, then a part of North Yarmouth, but now belonging to the town of Harpswell. The deed bears date Jan. 30, 1750-1. He subsequently bought a farm of Mary Hais, on Merriconeag, and built a log-house near what is known as Hais Brook. The farm is now owned by Henry Merryman. He engaged in shipping wood from Birch Island to Boston. He is said to have been the first of the name to join the society of Friends, having united with them at Falmouth, June 29, 1754.
In 1775 he removed to Royalsborough, now Durham. He d. in 1814, aged 94. Ch. by first wife were:- Daniel, b. 1747; and Cornelius, b. Middleborough, Mass., Sept. 12, 1749. Ch. by second wife were:- Joseph, b. in Harpswell, April 8, 1753, -an eminent minister of the Friends, -d. in Durham, Dec. 22, 1821; Job, b. Oct. 9, 1754; Israel, b. July 17, 1756; Sarah, b June 13, 1759, m. Benj. Doughty, of Brunswick; Patience, b. Mch 24, 1761; Mary, b. July 10, 1763, m David Booker, of Harpswell; Elijah, b. June 23, 1768; John, b. Nov. 8, 1774.
Rev. ROBERT DUNLAP (see Biog. ), the ancestor of all the Brunswick Dun-laps, was b. in Ireland, in the county of Antrim, Aug. 1715, came to America, 1736, and to Brunswick, 1747. He m. Jane Allison, who was b. 1711, and d. in Brunswick, Mch. 31, 1797. His mother's maiden name was Nelson. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent. Ch. were:-John, b. in Dracut, June 19, 1737; Elizabeth, b. in Nobleboro', in 1742, m Deacon Andrew Dunning; Samuel, b. in Boothbay, in 1745, d. in Brunswick, July 28, 1836; Robert, b. in Newcastle, in 1747, was shipwrecked and lost on Hampton Reach, Dec. 25, 1776; Jane, b. in Brunswick, in 1749; Hugh, b. in 1751.
ROBERT DUNLAP, the ancestor of the Topsham Dunlaps, came from Ireland about 1730, when his son John, his only son, was nine years of age. Other ch. were:- Jane, m Daniel Eaton, Brunswick; Margaret, m. James Potter, the eldest.
ANDREW DUNNING, the ancestor of all the Dunnings in this vicinity, and, it is believed, of all the family in the State of Maine, came from Ashburton, county of Devonshire, England, in 1717. He landed at Georgetown, Maine, where he remained a short time, and came to Brunswick the same year and settled at Maquoit on the lot recently occupied by master Samuel Dunning and now owned by Patrick McManus. He brought with him his wife, whose maiden name was Susan Bond, and five sons, who were all b. before he emi-grated to this country. Ch. were:- William, settled in York, Me.; David, b. 1705, settled in Brunswick Village; Andrew, b. abt. 1702 and Robert, who were killed by Indians while crossing Androscoggin River; James, b. 1691, lived in the homestead at Maquoit.
The Harpswell Dunnings descended from William of York, whose sons Andrew and Benjamin moved to Harpswell a short time previous to the incorporation of the town.
Some members of the Dunning family claim that Andrew left a son in England named JOHN, who had a son JOHN, who became a celebrated lawyer and was made LORD ASHBURTON. Others say that there is no evidence that Andrew left a son in England. There is some probability, however, that Lord Ashburton belonged to the same English family, and it is not at all unlikely that he was a grandson of a brother of ANDREW. He left a large estate, supposed to be valued at $50,000,000, which, it is said, still awaits an heir male.
This family is of English origin, but the connection with the first settlers of the name, in this country, has not been traced.
REVEREND ELISHA EATON (Biog.) was b. in 1702. He m. Mrs. Catharine [Belcher] Clough, moved to Harpswell, and was settled as pastor of the church in that place in 1754. He d. in Harpswell, April 22, 1764. Ch were:- Elisha, b. Sept. 12, 1732, d. in Boston; Samuel (Biog.) b. in Randolph, Apr. 3, 1737; Mary, b. Dec. 1, 1738; Elizabeth, b. May 9, 1740; Hannah, b. May 30, 1742; Thaddius, b. Apr. 1, 1744, d. in infancy. The daughters lived and died in Harpswell. The Harpswell family of Eatons is a distinct family, or at least a distinct branch from the Brunswick family.
SAMUEL EATON, the ancestor of the Brunswick family of this name, came to Brunswick from Salisbury, Mass., early in the last century, and built a house on what is now the southern corner of Bank and Maine Streets, where the billiard saloon stands. He had two ch. and perhaps more. One of his ch., Samuel, was a soldier in Fort George in 1722. He was the one sent to Georgetown with a letter to Capts. Harmon and Moody. The letter was tied in his hair. When it was not safe by land he took to the water and swam. The other son, Moses, was taken prisoner in June, 1722, cruelly mutilated, and carried to Pleasant Point, where the Indians killed him.
This family is of English origin, but we are unable to trace its connection with the first settler of the name in this country.
CALEB ELLIS, of Cambridge, Mass., was the father of John, who was b. in Cambridge in 1727.
REV. JOHN ELLIS, Son of Caleb, was graduated at Harv. Coll. in 1750. He was ordained at Norwich (Franklin), Conn., Sept. 5, 1755. He was a chaplain in the Revolutionary army all through the war. He was installed at Rehoboth, Mass., Mch. 30, 1785. He was dismissed in 1796, and returned to Norwich, where he d. Oct. 19, 1805.
REV. JONATHAN ELLIS, son of Rev. John, was b. in Franklin, Conn., April 11, 1762, settled in Topsham in 1784. He m. in 1790 Mary, dau. of Robert Fulton, of Topsham. She d. in Upper Stillwater, Maine, Mch. 11, 1860, aged 91 years less one week. The date and place of his death are both unknown. Ch. were:- Samuel Deane, b. Aug. 17, 1791, sailed from Bath in 1810,
The earliest member of this family to whom we have found any reference was THOMAS FARR, who was in Harpswell before the Revolution. Whether his ancestors resided there before him or not, we have no knowledge. He m. a dau. of John Bray and had ch:- Michael, b. 1760; John, b. 1762; Thomas, b. 1764; Elizabeth, b. 1766; Isaac, b. 1770; Jenny, b. 1772; Noah, b. 1774; Henry, b. 1776; Loraney, b. 1780; Mary, b. 1784.
The father of the first settler of this name in Brunswick was born in Ireland. He came to this country from Dublin, and settled in Ipswich, Mass.
JOHN FARRIN, son of the above, and ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity, was b. in Ipswich. He m. Hannah Newman, of Lynn, Mass. Soon after his marriage he went to Mystic, where he taught school for about six years. About 1755 he moved to Brunswick, where he taught school for many years.
Ch. were:- William, b. Aug. 24, 1758; Richard, b. Oct. 9,1760; Winthrop, b. Feb. 27, 1763; Ebenezer, b. Nov. 23, 1764, David, b. Feb. 8, 1767.
Gowen Fulton, with his wife and one child, came into this country with Actor Patten and family, about the year 1730. He lived in Coleraine, the market town of Derry County, Ireland, and was a journeyman weaver of linen. His wife, whose maiden name was Margaret Caswell, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, where she lived until she was twelve years of age, then went over to Ireland and lived with Actor Patten till she married.
They first landed in Boston, and after living in several places they moved to Topsham about the year 1750, and settled in the eastern part of the town. He was the ancestor of all of the name, in this vicinity, at least. He lived to be 96 years of age, and died about 1791. His wife died fourteen or fifteen years previous. Both were buried on their farm.
He had ch.:- John, b. in Ireland, m. Hannah Maxwell, of Scarboro', lived and d. in Topsham; James, b. in Scarboro', June 2, 1732, m. in 1764 Mary Ferguson, of Easton, Mass. (she b. Mch. 9, 1738). He d. Feb. 4, 1820. He was the first representative from Topsham to the General Court; Robert, b. Mch. 27, 1745, m. in 1764 Sarah Patten. He d. Jan. 13, 1777.
This family is said to be of Welsh origin.
CAPT. JOHN GETCHELL (see Biog.) came to Brunswick from Spurwink about the year 1736. He m. 1st, Elizabeth , and had ch.:- Abigail, b. in Brunswick, May-10, 1737; William, b. Sept. 6, 1740. He m. 2d, Mary-, and had ch.:- Dorcas, b. Feb. 25, 1743; Samuel, b. Aug. 15, 1745; John, b. Dec. 3, 1748; Mary, b. March 23, 1750; Hugh, b. Dec. 26, 1752; Robert, b. Sept. 21, 1754; Jude, b. Aug. 18, 1756; Susanna, b. June 21, 1757; Nathaniel, b. May 14, 1759. He is said to have been the ancestor of all of the name now residing in this vicinity.
MOSES GETCHELL was a settler on Harpswell Neck in 1731. What relation he was, if any, to Capt. John Getchell is not known, and no record of his children has been found.
DAVID GIVEEN, the ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity, with his wife and three sons came from Coleraine, county of Londonderry, Ireland. He came to Brunswick about 1719. He first settled at Mair Point. In 1730 he applied to the Pejepscot proprietors for land on the Maquoit road for his son David and his sons-in-law Samuel Clapp and James Campbell. In his petition to the proprietors, he signed his name Giveen, and some of his descendants still spell it so, while others spell the word with but one e.
In 1735 he purchased three hundred acres of land at Middle Bay, for forty--eight dollars, and soon after moved there.1 He was held in considerable esteem, and was a deacon of the old Presbyterian Church. The name of his wife is not known, nor the date of his or her death. Ch. were:- David, who moved to Sheepscot; John and Robert, twins; Martha, m. Samuel Clarke; Jane, m. Hugh White, who was afterwards drowned in Middle Bay. She afterwards m. Dr. William Spear; a dau. who m. James Campbell; a dau.2 who m. Samuel Clapp.
ROBERT GOWER came to Topsham from Kent, England, about the year 1766. He m. 1st, Margaret, a sister of Robert Alexander. He m. 2d, Mary Henry, a sister of James Wilson's wife, Ann. His intention of marriage to Mary, dau. of James Henry, "ye Cooper," was recorded Nov. 17, 1770. He removed to Farmington, Me., of which town he was one of the first settlers, and where he d. Ch. by first wife were:- Edward, b. Feb. 12, 1761; William, b. Nov. 30, 1762. By second wife:- James, b. Feb. 2, 1772; John, who afterwards lived in Industry, Me.; Samuel, who lived in Waterville, Me.; George, who lived in New Sharon, Me.
Four brothers of this name came to Topsham at different dates, but about the year 1762. They came from Falmouth. In the latter part of the seventeenth century JOHN GRAVES removed from Kittery to Falmouth, and m.
Johnson GRAVES was b. Feb., 1732. He m. 1st, in Falmouth, Sarah, a sister of Stephen and Samuel Staples. He m. 2d, June 23, 1803, Mrs. Susanna [Hobbs] Staples, formerly of Falmouth. He d. Jan. 18, 1824. Ch. by 1st wf. were:- Daniel, who d. in Falmouth in infancy; Elizabeth, b. April 19, 1759 or 1760; John, b. in Falmouth July 4, 1762; William, b. in Topsham, Aug. 4, 1765; Crispus, b. Oct. 20, 1767.
JOHN GRAVES, a brother of Johnson, m. in 1769, Sarah Boynton, of Falmouth. They were published April 10, and the certificate of marriage was recorded Aug. 29. Children were:- Daniel, b. June 16, 1770; Sarah, b. Oct. 12, 1771; Johnston, b. Feb. 21, 1774; Elizabeth, b. Jan. 18, 1778; John, b. September 26, 1780, m. Margaret Gray; Esther, b. Mch. 24, 1788; Levi, b. Nov. 10, 1790.
SAMUEL GRAVES, a brother of John and Johnston, had his intention of marriage to Mary Gooding, of Topsham, recorded Nov. 29, 1770. He was one of the selectmen in 1773. He d. Aug. 23, 1792. Children were:- Ebenezer, b. Aug. 21, 1775, d. Aug. 14, 1832; Jacob; Thomas; Jabez, supposed to have m. in New Brunswick; Susan, who m. Joseph Jack, of Bowdoinham; Molly, who m. Ephraim Marriner; Ann, who m. Isaac Jaquis, of Bowdoin.
Of JOSEPH GRAVES, a brother of Johnston, John, and Samuel, nothing is known except that he was one of the selectmen in 1770, and was a grantee, with Samuel, of half of 1,000 acres to be laid out near and convenient to the two branches of the western stream of Cathance River. The deed was recorded Mch. 16, 1758.
JACOB GRAFFAM, who was among the early settlers of Brunswick, is the first of the name of whom we find any record. His wife's name was Mary. Ch. were:- Mary, b. Dec. 2, 1735; Joseph, b. Feb. 14, 1738; Rebecca, b. July 8, 1741.
PELATIAH HALEY (see Biog.) was b. in Kittery, Oct 8, 1740 He m. Elizaabeth Lewis, who was b. April 9, 1743, and d. Feb. 19, 1836. They came to Topsham in May, 1761. He d. in Topsham, Oct. 29, 1819. Ch. were:- Pelatiah; Susannah, m. Lemuel Thompson, Sept. 27,1792; Elizabeth, m. Andrew Whitehouse, April 3, 1795; Mary, m. David Alexander, Nov. 30, 1800; John, m. Nancy Higgins, Sept. 1827, and d., without issue, Oct. 23, 1832.
JOSEPH HALEY, probably a brother of Pelatiah, was b. in Kittery in 1738. He m. Mary, sister of Samuel Goodwin, of Wells. He lived on the fifty-acre lot which was conveyed to John Merrill by the proprietors, Aug. 5, 1768. It was near the first or "old yellow " Baptist Meeting-House, which was built in great part by him. He was one of the signers of a remonstrance by the "fathers " of the town protesting against unequal taxes for the support of the minister and for other town charges. which bears date May 4, 1768. He d. in Topsham, May, 1801. Ch. were:- Susannah; Joseph, moved to Lewiston; Mary, m. a Goodwin, of Wells; Joshua, moved to Lisbon; John, b. in 1777; Samuel, moved to Lewiston; Moses, a joiner, moved to Bath.
JOHN HALL was b. in England in 1617. Came to America about 1633. His son John was owner in 1652 of a lot of land in Dover, N. H., and afterwards bought numerous other lots in the same town. He was quite prominent in town affairs for a number of years.
HATEVIL HALL, Son of John, of Dover, lived in Dover; had but one ch., Hatevil.
HATEVIL HALL, son of Hatevil, m. Sarah Furbish, of Kittery, April 1, 1733. Settled in Dover. Removed to Falmouth (now Portland) in 1753. He was a large land-owner in that place, and in Windham. He was a Quaker. He d. Nov. 28. 1797, aged 90 years, and leaving four hundred and seventy-five descendants. He lived to see some of his posterity of the fifth generation. His wife d. Mch. 2, 1790. He had ten sons and three dau., all married. Of these children Paul was the eighth son. He was b. in Falmouth, Dec. 15, 1755. He m. Jan. 27, 1782, Sarah Neal. Moved to Brunswick previous to 1798. He d. April, 1841. His descendants are numerous, and many of them are living in this vicinity at the present time (Biog.).
TOBIAS HAM, the ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity, was a son of John Ham, of Newington, N. H., whose father was born in the Isle of Man, and emigrated from England to Portsmouth, N. H., with the first settlers. Tobias came to Brunswick in 1740, and settled at New Meadows, and erected his house on what has since been known as Ham's Hill. He was a tanner and shoemaker as well as farmer. His tan-pits were in the low land, east of his house. It is related of him that as he was going to his tan-pits one mornIng before sunrise he discovered, by his dog's peculiar growl, that Indians were in ambush among the cedars near the pits. He therefore walked backwards to the house with his gun pointed toward the cedars. The Indians dared not fire, for it would have been certain death to them had they missed him, as "Old Long Gun," as they called him, was a dead shot they well knew. He m. Abigail Smith, whose father lived on Lines' Island, in the Kennebec.
COL. JOHNSON HARMON came from York or its immediate vicinity and settled in Harpswell in 1727. Reference has already been made to his military services and exploits, and but little else is known concerning him. He m. Mary, dau. of Jeremiah Moulton, of York. Ch. were:- Zebulon, b. Nov. 2, 1702; Mary, b. Mch. 28, 1704, m. Lieut. Richard Jaques; Miriam, b. July 7, 1707; Johnson, b. July 2, 1710; Joseph, b. Mch. 1, 1712; Hannah, b. Feb. 19, 1715; Martha, b. April 13, 1720. He was the ancestor of many, if not of all, the Harmons of this vicinity.
JAMES HENRY came from Providence, R. I., about 1761 or 1762, to Harpswell, where he intended to reside; but having been disappointed in the purchase of a tract of land he had contemplated buying, he soon removed to Topsham, to the lot, probably, that he bought of Adam and James Hunter. For some years before coming to Topsham he had been a farmer; before that he had been a mariner, but he experienced so many disasters and encountered so many dangers, that he abandoned the sea. He was called " the cooper," but was not, it is said, a cooper by trade, but he acquired the appellation from the fact that his early sea-faring life had made him somewhat familiar with that business. He was one of the selectmen of Topsham in 1766 and in 1769. He m. a McNess. She was the sister of Col. Samuel Winchell's wife, and came to this country when eighteen years of age. It was two years subsequent to the time of her parents' arrival. It is believed that there was no other family of Henrys in this section of the State.1 Ch. were:- James, who was probably m. Feb. 15, 1776, to Mercy Beveridge; Mary, m. Jan. 17, 1771, to Robert Gower; Ann, b. in 1748, m. James Wilson; Betty, m. July 28, 1776, to Stephen Titcomb; Jennett, b. Sept. 25, 1751, m. Joseph Berry; Sarah, m. a Sewall, of Bath.
This name, variously spelt HINCHELIE, HYNCKELEY, HINGEL, HYNKELEY, HINCKELEY, HYNEKELE, HINKLEY, was an ancient one before the Conquest. At the grand survey, begun by direction of William the Conqueror 1080, and completed 1086, Hinckley was returned a part of the possessions of Comus Albericus (Aubrey de Vere), Lord High Chamberlain. Soon after it became the property of Hugo de Grentsmainell, and was called the Honour or Barony of Hinckley. In 1303, Simon de Hynkley was vicar at Hinckley.
SAMUEL HINCKLEY, said to be the ancestor of all of the name in the United States, came from Tenterden, Kent, England, with his wife Sarah and four children, in March, 1634. He landed in Boston on Sept. 18, and settled in Scituate that same year. He was one of the associates of Rev. Mr. Lothrop.
One of his sons (Thomas) was governor of Plymouth Colony from 1681 to 1692 (except during Andross' rule), and was otherwise very prominent in the affairs of the colony.
SAMUEL HINCKLEY (see Biog.), of the third generation from Samuel, was b. Sept. 24,1684; m. Mary, dau. of Edmond Freeman of Eastham. He moved to Brunswick about 1739, having by the way made a few years' stay at Biddeford, where the York County records say he bought thirty-three acres of land Aug. 29, 1735, of James Kent, for £ 115. He had ch.:- Seth, b. in Harwich, Dec. 25, 1707; Shubael, b. Harwich, March 25, 1709; Samuel and Mary, b. Harwich, Feb. 7, 1711; Edmond, b. Harwich, Nov. 20, 1712; Reliance, b. Harwich, Nov. 21, 1714; Aaron, b. in Truro, Sept. 13, 1715 (see Biog.); Mehitable, b. in Truro, Dec. 25, 1718; Experience, b. in Truro, Jan. 16, 1720. Of these sons Shubael, when about 75 years old, moved to the eastern part of the State and married his fifth wife in Machias, by whom he had 4 ch., whose descendants are to be found in that part of the State. The other sons of Samuel settled in Brunswick.
JONATHAN HOLBROOK is said to have been the ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity. Settled in Harpswell, at what time is not known. He m. Rebecca, dau. of Rev. Samuel Veazie, of Harpswell. Ch, were:- Israel, b. 1773; Deborah, b. 1775, d. young; Deborah, b. 1778; Abizer, b. 1779, d. in infancy; Abizer, b. 1780; Jonathan, b. 1783; Rebecca, b. 1785; Deborah, b. 1788; Hannah, b, 1790; Polly, b. 1702; Priscilla, b. 1795.
LAWRENCE HUMPHREYS, the ancestor of the Humphreys family of Brunswick, was born in the Cove of Cork (now Queenstown), Ireland, in 1757. Of his early life but little is known, except that he received a good mercantile education, and after the death of his father went to one of the West Indies, probably Jamaica, where his first employment was as secretary to the widow of a wealthy planter.
He remained at Jamaica several years, returning to Ireland once during that time, until the,close of our Revolutionary war, when he was sent by an
Humphreys landed penniless among strangers, but soon found friends, and decided to remain in Georgetown. In 1788 he m. Elizabeth, dau. of John Campbell, one of the principal men of the town, whose father, Alexander Campbell, emigrated from Scotland to Georgetown in 1729 with his young bride, Frances Drummond.
After residing several years in Georgetown, Humphreys removed with his family to Topsham, where he d. 1835. His widow removed to Brunswick, where she d. in 1859, aged 92 years.
Their ch. were:- Mary, b. 1790, m. Rev. David James, d. Newburg, N. Y., 1844; Sally, b. Sept. 15, 1792, m. Benjamin Mason, d. 1843; Nancy, b. June 22, 1795, m. Thomas N. Thacker; John Campbell, b. Feb. 22, 1798 (see Biog.); Daniel, b. 1800, m. Lydia Clark, d. 1821; Eliza, b. 1806, m. Thomas U. Thacker, d. 1828; William, b. 1808, d. 1810; Margaret, p. 1810, m. Daniel Ham, living at Great Falls in 1877.
Several persons of this name settled in this country, at various places and times, in the seventeenth century. The Brunswick Hunts are descended from EDWARD HUNT, who was of Amesbury in 1677. He had a son John, who also had a son John. The latter was b. in 1718.
JOHN HUNT, the first of the name in Brunswick, came from Newburyport or Amesbury in 1752, and settled at the west end. He was probably of the third generation from Edward. No record of his ch. has been found. The earliest records of the family, in this town, which we have seen, are the following:-
EPHRAIM HUNT had ch. by wife Martha:- Martha, b. Nov. 20, 1779; John, b. Mch. 27, 1780; Jeremiah, b. Jan. 31, 1782; James, b. Sept. 10, 1783; Jennet, b. Aug. 8, 1785; Lydia, b. Oct. 9, 1787; William, b. July 19, 1789; Sarah, b. Nov. 16, 1791; Ephraim, b. Nov. 17, 1793; Hannah, b. Nov. 12, 1795; Ebenezer, b. Mch. 11, 1798; Charles, b. Oct. 4, 1800; Clarisse, b. Nov. 13, 1802; James, b July 16, 1805.
WILLIAM HUNT, m. Elizabeth; ch. were:- William, b. Oct. 25, 1774; Mary, b. July 8, 1776; Martha, b. Dec. 11, 1777.
DANIEL HUNT m. Janet. They had one ch., David, b. Sept. 18, 1783.
ADAM HUNTER, the ancestor of all the Hunters in this vicinity, settled in Topsham in 1718, at which time he purchased of the Pejepscot proprietors two lots of land of one hundred acres each, at £5 each. He was also one of the proprietors of the Cathance Mill right, owning one hundred and twenty--five acres of land and one eighth of the double saw-mill. He subsequently made other purchases of land. He was evidently a man of wealth for those days. His house was deemed the best in town, and to it strangers were directed for accommodation. He was a captain in the last Indian war, and a selectman in 1766. His wife was of Irish descent, and came to this country
LIEUT. RICHARD JAQUES m. Mary, dau. of Col. Johnson Harmon, and came with Col. Harmon, or soon after, from York (about 1727; and settled in Harpswell. He was conspicuous in the Indian wars. Among other exploits he killed Ralle at Norridgewock. His descendants, though not numerous, still reside in this vicinity. Ch. were:- Miriam, b. June 24, 1725; Susanna, b. June 15, 1726; Benjamin, b. Oct. 17, 1731.
REV. ROBERT JORDAN was b. in the West of England in 1610. It is not improbable that he graduated at Oxford, as "Robert Jordan matriculated at Oxford, 15 June, 1632, aged 19, as son of Edward Jordan of Worcester, county of Worcester."1 In 1640 he came to America and settled at Spurwink. He was a kinsman of Thomas Purcbase, and resided with the latter for some time, either previous to or subsequent to his residence at Spurwink. In 1642 he m. Sarah, dau. of John Winter. He subsequently removed to Newcastle and afterwards to Portsmouth, N. H., where he d. in 1678. He was an Episcopal clergyman. (For further particulars concerning him, see Williamson's Hist. of Me., Vol. I, p. 680.) Ch. were:- John, Robert, Dominicus, Jedediah, Samuel, and Jeremiah.
JOHN JORDAN, son of John and grandson of Rev. Robert Jordan, was b. at Cape Elizabeth about 1709. He moved to Brunswick in 1739, and thence to Harpswell, where he died about 1795. He was the ancestor of all the Jordans now living in Brunswick. Ch. were:- Fields, b. at Cape Elizabeth; Peter and John, b. in Brunswick.
This is said to be a French family of Huguenot extraction.
BENJAMIN LARRABEE, of Falmouth (Portland), a son of Isaac, a military man, recovered the property of his father, who with his family had been forced to fly from the war. He m. Deborah, dau. of John Ingersoll, and had a son, Benjamin, b. 1700.
BENJAMIN LARRABEE, the ancestor of the Brunswick family of that name, is said by tradition to have been b. in Falmouth. He came to Brunswick about 1727, and was commander of Fort George for some years. He was also agent for the Pejepscot proprietors. He may have been the Benjamin referred to above as being born in 1700. He d. May 9, 1748. His wife's name was Mary. She survived him and m. John Oulton. Ch. were:- Mary, , b. April 7, 1728;
Nathaniel, b. in Fort George, Dec. 23, 1729; Isabella, b. Nov. 27, 1731; Abigail, b. Jan. 9, 1733-4; Hannah, b. Dec. 10, 1735; Elizabeth, b. Jan. 10, 1737-8; Benjamin, b. Feb. 5, 1739-40; Stephen, b. July 12, 1742; James, who had a dau. who m. Aaron Hinkley.
All persons of this name in this country, So far as known, are descended from HENRY LUNT, who was one of the original settlers of Newbury, Essex County, Mass., in the year 1635. His will, recorded at Ipswich, is dated in 1662. The name Lunt is of Scandinavian origin. In Denmark it is well known and is Spelled Lundt. It seems likely that it is derived from some of the early Danish invaders or incursionists into England.1
AMOS LUNT (Biog.), a grandson of Henry, was b. in Falmouth, Feb. 29, 1752. He m. Mrs. Hannah Quimby, a dau. of Josiah Noyes. He came to Brunswick with Cutting and Thomas Noyes, lived with them in the fort awhile, and then built a two-story house on the corner of Mill and Bow Streets. He d. Mch. 4, 1837. Ch. were:- Frederick and Harry, who went to North Carolina and d. there; Joseph, who m. Martha, a niece of Dr. Page. He lived awhile in Brunswick and then moved to Fryeburg, where he d. without issue.
JAMES MCMANUS came to this country from Ireland about the middle of the last century, and settled at Maquoit. He had five sons:- Daniel, James, John, Richard, Robert. The latter was b. July 14, 1764, in a house on the west side of the twelve-rod road, a few rods South of the old west meeting-house. He lived for a while with Deacon Robert Dunning and then for five years with Brigadier Thompson. John was b. about 1760, and served as a Soldier nearly four years in the Revolution. He was at the surrender of Burgoyne, served under Gen. Sullivan in the Mohawk country, and received a wound at Cherry Valley which rendered him lame for life.
The great-grandfather of the first of this name in Brunswick is said to have come from Wales, G. B., with a patent to Settle Monhegan. It is also said that his two sons went out in their boats fishing, and upon their return found their father had been killed, and their motber knocked on the head with a hatchet by the Indians; a girl with them had escaped and hid. They took their mother and the girl into their boat, and after burying their father, sailed for Marblehead, where a physician was employed, who trepanned their mother's head, and she eventually recovered.2
JOHN MARINER settled in Brunswick, about 1766. He m. Ruth -----. Ch. were:- Samuel, b July 21, 1767, m. Margaret Mosley, Aug. 7, 1786; Sarah, b. June 11, 1769, m. John Simmons Gatchell ; and probably other ch. He was the ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity.
The name is from the Hebrew, and indicates a long line of ancestors. The meaning of the word is said to be "the king," "the kingly one," or "the royal one." The true spelling of the word is "Melchior." The name is a common one in Switzerland and in Germany. It is not known who was the first of the name to settle in this country. Joseph Melcher and his brother Samuel Melcher settled in this town about the year 1757, and were the ancestors of all of the name in this vicinity.
JOSEPH MELCHER settled at Bunganock, on the farm now occupied by Jedediah Mariner. He was a housewright by trade. He m. in 1757, Mary Cobb, of " Gorham town." He d. Apr. 21, 1821, in the 86th year of his age; she d. May 18, 1825, in the 87th year of her age. Ch. were:- Noah, Nathaniel, Abner, Josiah, Samuel, and nine others. Those named lived in Brunswick.
SAMUEL MELCHER, brother of Joseph, settled at New Meadows, on the farm now occupied by Dea. James Smith, and he built, in 1767, the house which Dea. Smith now occupies. He m. Isabella, dau. of Judge Aaron Hinkley. He d. Mch. 3, 1834, in the 90th year of his age; she d. Aug. 17, 1832, in the 86th year of her age. Ch. were:- Reliance, b. Nov. 15, 1768, d. Nov. 29, 1804; Mary, b. Aug. 5, 1771; Aaron, b. Feb. 23, 1773; Samuel, b. May 8, 1775, d. Mch. 3, 1862; Elizabeth, b. May 13, 1777; Lois, b. July 2, 1780; Rebecca, b. Mch. 6, 1783, m. a Donnel, now living in West Bath; John, b. May 19, 1785; Noah, b. May 30, 1788, d. in infancy ; Rachel, b. Feb. 23, 1793.
The name of the first American ancestor of this family has not been ascertained, but was probably Nathaniel of Newbury, who was among the first settlers of that place. There was a John Merrill in Hartford, Conn., in 1657, who was a son of Nathaniel of Newbury. He had a son John, b. 1669, and a son Abel, b. 1680. One of these may have been the father of the John and Abel named below as settling in Arundel, but there is no positive evidence of the fact.
JOHN MERRILL, with his brother Abel, settled in Arundel, now Kennebunkport, about 1725, and erected a log-house there. It is not known from whence they came. He was b. about 1700. He m. Mary Hutchins of Kittery. Ch. were:- Daniel, John, Hannah, Obed, and Humphrey, who d. young.
JOHN MERRILL, son of John of Arundel, was born in Arundel, Jan. 29, 1734, m. Susannah Haley of Kittery, moved to Topsham in 1758. He d. March 24, 1828. Ch. were:- Susannah, b. in Topsham, Nov. 25, 1768, m. Andrew Walker of Arundel; Mary, b. April 9, 1770, m. Stephen Purinton of
Harpswell; John, b. Oct. 4, 1772; Joseph, b. Jan 22, 1774, d. 1798; Abel, b. July 30, 1776, d. Feb. 13, 1857. (See Biog.)
(Spelled also Meryman and Merriman.)
WALTER MERYMAN, the ancestor of all of that name in this vicinity, was an Irishman. He was kidnapped in Dublin and brought to Boston, where he was sold for his passage to a man named Simonton, who lived at Cape Elizabeth. After serving his time with Mr. Simonton he came to Harpswell, date not known. He first settled (according to the late Capt. James Merryman, of Harpswell) on Birch Island; then he moved to the mainland just above "Lookout Point," near the shore, and afterwards moved to a point nearer the road. According to Capt. James Sinnett, who is a descendant, he settled at first in the old house on the Neck, north of the Congregational Church, now occupied by his grandson, Hudson Merryman. He m. Betty Potter of Topsham. Ch. were:- Thomas, m. Sarah Bailey; Hugh, m. Delight Bailey; Walter, m. Betsey Webber; James, m. Hannah Blake; Michael, m. Mary Bishop; and several daughters, one of whom married Joseph Ewing.
The first American ancestor of this family was GEORGE MINOT, who was among the first Pilgrim emigrants to Mass., and one of the first settlers of Dorchester. He was the son of Thomas Minot, Esq., of Saffron-Walden, Essex, England., and was b. in 1594.
STEPHEN MINOT, of Boston, was grandson of George, of Dorchester. He was a merchant and one of the proprietors of the Pejepscot tract.
JOHN MINOT (Biog.), son of Stephen, was b. in Boston, in 1694. He was m. in Capt. John Slaughter's chamber, Boston, July 22, 1731, to Hannah Bradstreet, of Reading, Mass. He came to Brunswick in 1730. He d. Jan. 10, 1764. Ch. were:- Mercy, b. July 11, 1732, at Mair Point, Brunswick, m. Rev. John Wiswell of Portland; Hannah, b. March 9, 1733-4, at Richmond, m. Samuel Moody, moved to Boston and then to Bath; Mehitable, b. March 1, 1735, at Richmond; John, b. Dec. 4, 1737; Thomas, b. April 16, 1740.
JOSEPH MORSE was b. in England, emigrated to New England abt. 1635, and settled at Ipswich prior to 1641.
ANTHONY MORSE was b. at Marlboro', Wiltshire, England, May 9, 1606. Emigrated and settled at Newbury, 1635, and d. 1686. One of these was doubtless the ancestor of the Brunswick Morses, but the line has not been traced.
ANTHONY MORSE, of Portland, was b. 1720; had six sons, besides daughters. Two of his sons, Joseph and Anthony, settled in Brunswick about the time of the Revolution, and were the ancestors of all the Morses of this immediate vicinity.
JOSEPH MORSE was b. In Portland in 1745. Settled in Brunswick near where the old Baptist Meeting-House stood on the twelve-rod road at
Maquoit. He afterwards moved to Bunganock to the farm where Mrs. Emery Morse now lives. He was a cordwainer and also a shoemaker. He m. Hannah Hunt, dau. of Ephraim Hunt. He d. Feb. 10, 1817. Ch. were:- John, b. Jan. 23, 1774; Hannah, b. Nov. 12, 1775; Ephraim, h. Nov. 10, 1777; Anne, b. Nov. 8, 1779; Martha, b. Sept. 23, 1781; Joseph, b. Jan. 11, 1784; Anthony, b. Mch. 13, 1786; Mary, b. Apr. 30, 1788; Susannah and Sarah, b. July 30, 1790; Benjamin, b. May 17, 1793.
ANTHONY MORSE came to Brunswick with his brother Joseph. He was in the army during the whole period of the Revolution. He m. Susanna Elliot. He d. abt. 1811. Ch. were:- Margaret, b. Nov. 8, 1777; Hannah, b. Nov. 21, 1780; James, b. June 21, 1783; Adam, b. July 11, 1785; Susannah, b. Apr. 16, 1790; Anthony, b. Feb. 14, 1793.
The first of this name of whom we find record was
EDMUND MOUNTFORT, who was settled in Brunswick, and had ch:- Hannah, b. Dec. 17, 1792; Mary and Ester, b. Jan. 11, 1796; William, b. July 20, 1798; Vincent, b. July 20, 1801; Margaret, b. July 1, 1804.
REV. JAMES NOYES and his brother Nicholas came to this country in 1634 from Choulderton, Wiltshire, England, and was son of Rev. William Noyes, who was rector of that diocese in 1602.
NICHOLAS NOYES, brother of the above, was b. in Choulderton, Eng. In 1616. He m. Mary, a dau. of Capt. John Cutting. He d. Nov. 9, 1701, leaving a large family.
CUTTING NOYES, a grandson of Nicholas, was b. in Falmouth, Feb. 27, 1745. He came to Brunswick soon after the close of the Revolution, with his brother Thomas, and Amos Lunt. They bought a portion of the "Fort Right," and lived in the fort until Cutting built a house where the store of J. T. Adams & Co. now stands. He m. Anne Martin of Brunswick. He d Feb. 15, 1813. Ch. were:- Joseph, b. Mch. 19, 1792, m. Mary Lowell, and lived in Turner; Harriet and Mary, b. Dec. 30,1793: Harriet m. William N. Hall, of Brunswick, Mary m. Nathaniel Davis, of Woburn, and settled in Brunswick; Jane, b. Oct. 22, 1795, m. Ballard Green, who settled in Thomaston.
This family came from Ireland to Boston, in company with the Skolfields, in the early part of the last century. There were three brothers, Joseph, Clement, and John, with their sister Mary. They remained in Boston a few years, when, in 1742, they came to Harpswell and Brunswick. Joseph and Clement settled on the upper end of Harpswell Neck, and subsequently (about 1748) purchased Little Sebascodigan Island, which has since been known as Orr's Island, for which, it is said, they paid two shillings per acre. John settled on Mair Point.
JOSEPH ORR m. Mrs. William Wyer. Ch. were:- Mary, b. 1761. m. Col. Wm. Stanwood; Lettice, b. 1763, m. John Reed, of Topsham. She d. at the age of 93.
CLEMENT ORR, son of Clement, b June 27, 1752, d. Oct. 9, 1813. His wife, Patience, d. Dec. 8, 1812, aged 61. Ch. were:- Richard, John, Lettice, Mary.
JOHN ORR M. Susan Skolfleld. Had no children.
The name of the first American ancestor of this family has not been ascertained. The Brunswick Owens are probably descended from John and Lucretia of Falmouth, who, according to Willis, had a son William in Brunswick.
GIDEON OWEN, the first of the name in Brunswick of whom there is any other record, was b. April, 1742. His wife's name was Jane. He d. July 8, 1772. Ch. were:- Margaret, b. Oct. 6, 1764; Thomas, b. Sept. 1, 1766; Hugh White, b. Sept. 23. 1768; Martha, b. July 13, 1770; John, b. Aug. 3, 1772; David, b. Nov. 31, 1774.
WILLIAM OWEN, whose wife's name was Mary, had ch:- Janney, b. April 9, 1776; Lucy, b. June 3, 1779; Rachel, b. May 9, 1781; William, b. Jan. 3, 1784.
PHILIP OWEN was b. Feb. 18, 1756. He m. Joanna. He d. May 28, 1849. Ch. were:- John, b. Mch. 19, 1784; Philip, b. Dec. 3, 1785; Dorothy, b. Feb. 11, 1787; Jane, b. Sept. 29, 1789, m. Nath'l Badger; Jeremiah, b. Mch. 16, 1792; Joanna, b. May 13, 1794, m. Joseph Griffin; Hannah, b. Sept. 2, 1796.
Four brothers, ACTOR, WILLIAM, ROBERT, and MATTHEW PATTEN, came to this country early in the last century from Coleraine, a market town of Derry County, Ireland. According to one account they all came over at the same time (about 1727). Another account places the date of Robert's arrival at 1737. ACTOR was an elder of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. He landed in Boston, from whence he went to Falmouth (Portland), and soon afterwards settled in Saco. From Saco he moved to Flying Point, in Freeport, and afterwards moved to what is now the town of Surry, where he d. previous to the Revolution. WILLIAM settled in Boston, and MATTHEW in Saco. ROBERT settled in Arundel (Kennebunk).
JOHN PATTEN, son of Actor, was b. in Ireland in 1717. He came to this country with his father in 1727. He m Mary, a dau. of Robert Means, of Saco. She d. about 1798. He d. April 7, 1795. Ch. were:- Robert, b. May 14, 1743, in Saco; Sarah, who m. Robert Fulton; Jane, who m. William Randall in 1783, and who d. in Nov. 1832; Mary, who m. Samuel Jameson; Hannah, who m. Thomas Harward; Margaret, who m. James Maxwell; John, d. in Topsham, single; William, d. in England, a prisoner, single; Thomas, b. Feb. 10, 1761, m. Katherine Fulton; Joseph, b. in 1764; Matthew, d. at the age of 15; Dorcas, who m. James Hunter (son of Col. James Hunter); Actor, who m. Ann, dau. of John Hunter; David, who m. Hannah Reed, and who d. in Bowdoinham.
ACTOR PATTEN, son of Robert Patten who settled in Arundel (Kennebunk) in 1737, was a cousin of John. He was b. in Ireland, Jan. 22, 1737. He m. in 1766, Jane, a dau. of Hugh McLellan, of Gorham. She was b. Dec. 29, 1748, and d. Aug. 28, 1835. He was only six weeks old When his parents emigrated to this country. He was an only son. He moved to Topsham in
Dec. 1760, when 23 years of age. He had visited the town the previous June. He d. July 26, 1816. Ch. were:- Elizabeth, who m. Benjamin Patterson, of Saco; Robert; Actor, b. in Topsham, in 1771; Mary, who m 1st, Thomas Buckminster, of Saco, m. 2d, Dr. Shannon, of Saco, and d. at Passadumkeag, of croup, in Jan. 1834; Abigail, who m. William Tate; Jane, who m. Jonathan Marston, of Monmouth; Rebecca, who m. Robert McLellan, of Gorham; Hugh, who m. Lucy Green (sister of Nathaniel and Gardner Green); Rachel, who d. single; William, who was a sea-captain; Margaret, who m. 1st, Joseph Swett, and 2d, Noah Melcher.
THOMAS PENNELL and two of his brothers came to America from the Isle of Jersey, in the English Channel, about the year 1740. They are supposed to have descended from a Huguenot family, who fled from France on account of religious persecution. It is said that these three brothers were orphans who had some property in England, and were sent here by their uncle, who had charge of the property, under pretence of giving them an education, and that they landed at Scituate, Mass., without any money. After stopping there awhile they moved to York, and from there to Capisic (near Portland), where Thomas and one of his brothers bought, each, a farm. Thomas is said to have lost his on account of an incumbrance upon it when he purchased it. The brother who bought a farm there also remained, and his descendants are scattered over Gray, Westbrook, Portland, and neighboring towns. The other brother went to Kingston, Canada, where his descendants are to be found. Thomas m. Rachel Riggs. He moved from Capisic to Gorham, and afterwards, in 1760, to New Meadows, Brunswick. He d. Nov. 12, 1812. Ch. were:- Matthew, b, in Capisic, 1748, d. in Portland, 1817; Thomas, Jacob, John, Stephen, and several daughters, one of whom m. a Mr. Ham, whom she survived, and afterwards m. James Merryman, of Harpswell.
The ancestor of at least one of the families of this name now residing in Brunswick was NATHANIEL PERRY, who emigrated from England about 1680. His son JOHN, of Rehoboth, Mass., was b. in 1770.
JOHN PERRY, grandson of the John named above, was b. in Rehoboth, Dec. 3, 1772. In 1798 moved to Brunswick. He m. in 1802, Jane, dau. of Col. Wm. Stanwood. He d. in Bangor, March 18, 1846. Ch. were:- John A.; Octavia Jane; Isabella Hunt; Martha Stanwood; William Stanwood; Hannah L. W.; Jesse Appleton.
The name of the first American ancestor of this family has not been ascertained. The earliest known was JOSEPH PETERSON, of Duxbury, Mass., whose son JONATHAN d. in 1756.
JOHN PETERSON, grandson of Jonathan above named, and the ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity, came to Brunswick about 1783, and settled at New Meadows. His wife's name was Sarah. They lived in the house now occupied by Bartlett Adams. He kept a store in the building opposite, and also
in a building near the river. He built vessels, had a mill, and was one of the most enterprising citizens of the time. All of his children but the last three were b. in Duxbury. Ch. were:- John, b. July 30, 1767; Levi, b. Nov. 7, 1769; James, born Dec 30, 1771; Nancy, b. Mch. 20, 1774; Charles, b. Aug. 20, 1776; Hewett, b. Sept. 19, 1778; Sarah, b. Jan. 20, 1781; Daniel, b. Oct. 28, 1783; Abigail, b. in Brunswick, Sept. 17, 1786: William, b. Mch. 4, 1789; Lucy, b. April 27, 1791.
The name of the ancestor of the Potter family in this vicinity has not been ascertained. He had three sons, William, James, and Alexander, who all settled in Topsham, about 1740.
WILLIAM POTTER m. Catherine Mustard (tradition says). She afterwards m. Edward Cunningham, of Bowdoin. He was killed by the Indians in 1747. Ch. were:- James, called the second; Alexander, who m. a lady by the name of Snipe, of Georgetown; John; David, who m. Ruth, dau. of Caleb Curtis, of Harpswell; Samuel, who was drowned; Joseph, who lived at Moose Island, Eastport; Matthew, who m. Isabel Heddrean, Sept. 1787; William.
JAMES POTTER settled on Lot No. 41, in Topsham. Ch. were:- William, who lived in Litchfleld; John, who also lived in Litchfleld; Samuel, b. in 1746, m. April 21, 1778, Elizabeth Dunlap, and d. about 1800; Hewey, who lived in Gardiner; Joseph, who lived in Ohio; James, who m. April 8, 1784, Jenny Mallet; Andrew, who lived in Gardiner; Christian, who m. Jan. 6, 1777, Ebenezer Dunlap, of Litchfleld; Elizabeth, who m. Nov. 26, 1782, James Dunlap; Jane, who m. April, 1787, Nathaniel Marston, of Gardiner.
ALEXANDER POTTER b. in 1711, d. April 14, 1800. Ch. were:- Alexander, who m. in 1782, Abigail, dau. of Ezra Randall; Mary, who m. April 18, 1777, Hatherby Foster, of Georgetown; Jane, b. in Topsham, Dec. 11, 1743, m. John, son of William Rogers.
Humphrey Purinton came from Cape Cod, about the time of the last Indian war, to the New Meadows River, settling on the Bath side, near the present railroad bridge. His ch. were all born before he came here. They were:- Nathaniel, b. 1731 (or 1736); Abial, who m. Brig. Sam'l Thompson; Joshua, who lived in Bath; Hezekiah; James, b. in Truro, Mass., April 9, 1742; Humphrey.
He was the ancestor of all the name in this vicinity who spell the name as above.
WILLIAM RANDALL emigrated from Bristol, England, and settled in Scituate, Mass., about 1660. He was the father of Joseph, who was the father of Benjamin.
EZRA RANDALL, son of Benjamin above named, settled in Topsham, but afterwards moved to Bowdoinham. He is called a shipwright in a deed to him dated Oct. 15, 1761, from Jacob Eaton, of a lot numbered 18, in the town plan.1 May 7, 1762, he also bought lots 13, 14, 15, and 16, of
Michael Malcolm of Georgetown, and May 14, 1762, he sold lots 13 and 14 to his brother Paul.1 June 4, 1766, he sold to his brother William fifty acres of land.2 He is said to have been addicted to drinking liquors, and to have soon squandered his property. He m. Margaret. He d. in Bowdoinham, aged 88. Ch. were:- Isaiah, b. Nov. 4, 1772; John, b. Feb. 24, 1769; Nabby, who m. John Mustard, Jan. 22, 1778; Joseph, who m. Martha Reed, about 1778; Heatherby, b. Aug. 26, 1766; Ezra, b. Aug. 28, 1764; Margaret, b. Aug. 6, 1762, m. Alexander (son of Alexander) Potter, of Bowdoin; Isaac, b. June 1, 1776; Elizabeth, b. Nov. 28, 1779.
PAUL RANDALL, son of Benjamin and brother of Ezra, b. in Scituate in 1736; settled in Harpswell. He m. Molly McFarland. Ch. were:- Paul, and probably others.
WILLIAM RANDALL, also brother of Ezra, was b. in Scituate, Mass., Jan. 1, 1743. He m. Jane Patten, to whom his intention of marriage was published, July 23, 1783. He settled in Topsham, later than his other brothers there. He bought fifty acres of Ezra, and together with Daniel, eighty-five acres of land of his brother Paul, and fifty acres of William Thorne, Jr. (See deeds referred to.) He was one of the selectmen in 1776, and one of the Committee of Correspondence and Safety in 1778 and in 1785. He d. In Topsham, June, 1826. Ch. were:- Jane, b. April 28, 1784, m. James Jameson; William, b. Aug. 22, 1785, who was father of Elbridge; Benjamin, b. Nov. 14, 1789, graduated at Bowd. Coll. in 1809.
DANIEL RANDALL, brother of Ezra, m. a Widow Kemp, and moved to Harpswell, where he d. He bought land, with his brother William, of Paul, Ezra, and William Thorne. Ch. was:- a dau., who m. Capt. Norton Stover.
PAUL RAYMOND came from Dorchester, Mass., or vicinity, to Harpswell, previous to 1770. He had ch:- Edward, b. in Harpswell, Dec. 5, 1771; m. Lydia Coombs, dau. of Anthony, who came from Dorchester; moved to Brunswick (Growstown), in 1799. Paul, who m. Abigail, dau. of Wm. Thompson, of Harpswell.
The name of the ancestor of the Reed family, of Topsham and Harpswell, has not been ascertained, but the family is of Irish descent. Three brothers, David, John, and William, settled in Topsham about 1731.
DAVID REED m. Anna Rogers (the sister of John who was the father of Hugh). He lived on what is now known as the Willis Sprague farm. He was licensed May 26, 1761, by the Court of Sessions, as an innholder, and also in 1762, '63, '64, '66, '67, and in 1771, as a retailer, and again as an inn-holder in 1772, '73, and '74. He was a lieutenant, under Capt. Actor Patten, at the Penobscot expedition, and was a captain in 1783. He was one of, the Committee of Correspondence and Safety in 1776, '81, and '83. He removed to the Penobscot about 1790, and was one of the earliest settlers of Stillwater. He is said to have built the first mills there. Ch. were:-
Deina, b. July 12, 1760; Mary, b. July 8, 1762; Margaret, b. Aug. 20, 1769; Anna, b. July 22, 1766; David, b. Mch. 7, 1769.
JOHN REED was b. in Ireland about 1719. He d. Jan. 12, 1795. Ch. were:- John, b. in Ireland about 1747; Jane, who m. Joseph Foster, of Topsham; Martha, who m. Joseph, son of Ezra Randall; Hannah, m. Robert, son of Rev. James Potter; Charity, who m. 1st, Benjamin, son of Ezra Randall, 2d, a Prescott (who ran off and left her), and, 3d, John Hern, of Ireland, afterwards of Whitefleld; Susan, who d. single.
WILLIAM REED was b. abt. 1691. His wife's name was Mary. He d. in July or Aug. 1773. Ch., if any, are unrecorded.
The earliest known ancestor of this family was RICHARD RICH, a mariner, who went from Dover, N. H., to Truro, Mass., and was admitted as a freeman in 1681, and d. in 1692. His son Richard was father of Obadiah.
ISAAC RICH, son of Obadiah and Polly [Cobb] Rich, of Truro, Mass., moved to Harpswell and settled on Great Island in 1797, bringing with him a numerous family. He was the ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity. Of his ch., Zaheth, m. Mary, dau. of Capt. Sam'l Snow; Isaac, m. Sarah S. Small, who still survives; David, m. Betsey Rich, of Truro; Reuben, settled in West Bath, where his descendants still reside.
JAMES RIDLEY came from Truro to Harpswell before the Revolution, but precisely when is not known. He m. Mary, dau. of Samuel Small of Truro. Ch. were:- Mark, b. 1757; Daniel, b. 1759; Rachael, b. 1763.
WILLIAM ROGERS, the ancestor of all of that name in this vicinity, was b. in Ireland. Nothing more than this fact and the names of his children have been ascertained concerning him. Ch. were:- John; George, who d. in Freeport; Thomas, who d. in Georgetown; Hugh, who d. in Georgetown; William, who d. In Freeport; Ann, who m. Benjamin Kendall; Margaret, who m. Rev. John Miller, of Brunswick; Robert, who d. in Phipsburg.
JOHN ROGERS, son of William, Sen., was b. in Georgetown, June 20, 1746, O. S. He m. Jane, dau. of Alexander Potter, of Topsham. He probably moved to Topsham about 1768, as there was a John Rogers there at that time. The last-named was a sea-captain during a portion of his life. He was one of the selectmen in 1790, '91, and '92. He was town clerk in 1797 and '98. Ch. of John and Jane were:- John, b. Aug. 30, 1771, lost his leg in Jan. 1836; William, b. June 2, 1773; Jenny, b. Nov. 15, 1775, m. Ephraim Larrabee; Alexander, b. March 13, 1778, moved out West; Dinah, b. April 1, 1781, m. Nahum Houghton; Hugh, b. Feb. 9, 1785, d. April 30, 1867.
ALEXANDER ROGERS, son of George and grandson of William; Sen., was b. in Georgetown in 1754; moved to Topsham, but precisely when is not known. He m. Margaret [Wilson] Hunter, widow of John Hunter, and settled on the farm which was occupied by the late Hon. George Rogers, and which is now
occupied by the family of the late George A. Rogers. He was the father of George and grandfather of George A.
The earliest reference to this family which has been found is contained in Vol. I, Me. Hist. Coll., p. 314, where allusion is made to a James Ross, as follows:-
"JAMES Ross was born in Falmouth, 1662, son of James. He was taken prisoner with his father's family in 1676, and again in 1690. He was a shoemaker by trade, and occupied his father's farm, or part of it, at Back Cove. His mother was Ann, the eldest daughter of George Lewis. On his return from his second captivity, he resided at Salem. His father was here [Falmouth], about 1657. He was living in Salem in 1724." In 1720 a James Ross purchased of the Pejepscot proprietors a lot of land in Topsham (probably lot No. 18), and built a house upon it, and resided there for some time. After his death, which was previous to 1761, his heirs sold their rights to the land. (See Line. Co. Reg. Deeds, Vol. I, p. 170.) It is not improbable that this James may have been a son of James of Falmouth, but the connection has not been traced. The first of the family in Brunswick of which we have found any record was William Ross, who was b. July 15, 1747. He was probably son of William, of Sheepscot. His wife's name was Jennett. She was b. Nov. 12, 1752. Ch. were:- William, b. Nov. 15, 1773; Jennett, b. Aug. 3, 1775; Martha, b. Mch. 27, 1777; Elizabeth, b. Mch. 22, 1777; Anna, b. Oct. 11, 1781; Robert, b. Oct. 7, 1783; James, b. Mch. 27, 1785; Sarah, b. Apr. 21, 1790.
WILLIAM SIMPSON, the ancestor of all of the name in this vicinity, came from the southern part of Ireland (probably from the county of Clare) about 1735, and bought the farm at Maquoit where Robert Chase lived in 1859. He returned to Ireland and brought back his wife and two daughters, but left one son there. Both of his daughters married and went to Sheepscot. One, Jane, m. a Hopkins, and lived, it is said, to be 102 years old. His wife's name was Agnes. Ch. b. in America were:- William, b. Nov. 17, 1738; Robert, b. Oct. 30, 1740; Lewis, Josiah, and two other sons. All but Lewis and Josiah settled at Sheepscot. Josiah settled on the homestead. He m. 1st, Elizabeth, dau. of Robert Spear, Jr.; 2d, a dau. of James Potter. He d. Dec. 25, 1819. Lewis m. Martha Skolfleld.
MICHAEL SINNETT, the ancestor of all by that name in this vicinity, was born in an inland town of Ireland. After serving his time as an apprentice, he, in company with one or two fellow-workmen, went to Dublin in search of employment. They had been in Dublin but a few days when, as they were loitering about the wharves, looking at the shipping, which to them was a novel sight, they were accosted by a well-dressed man of pleasant appearance, who, after some conversation, invited them to go down the harbor in a vessel which was about to sail, assuring them that they could return with the pilot. They, without suspicion, accepted the invitation. As soon as the
city was fairly left behind, Mr. Sinnett and his companions were taken before the captain, who informed them that they must go to America with him, and that resistance would be of no avail. They were thunderstruck, but resolved to make the best of their unlucky situation.
When the vessel reached Boston, public notice was given that Sinnett and his companions, having embarked of their own free will, and having no money to pay their passage, would be sold to pay their passage fees. Joseph Orr, who with his brother Clement had purchased Orr's Island, paid the passage money for Sinnett, and took him home with him and set him at work upon his farm. What became of Sinnett's companions we do not know.
When Sinnett had served for a length of time sufficient to reimburse Orr for the passage-money paid by the latter, he was a free man. Soon after gaining his freedom, he married a woman whose relatives lived in Hingham, Mass. Her full name we have been unable to learn, but her Christian name was Mary. Shortly after his marriage, Sinnett went with his wife to what is now Boothbay, where he built a small house and began to clear up a piece of land. By and by a coaster came along, bound for Boston. Mrs. Sinnett thought it a good opportunity for her to visit her relatives, and Mr. Sinnett assuring her that he could get along alone for a few weeks, she concluded to make the journey. She had been gone but a few days when a press-gang came ashore and carried him to New York, from whence he was marched, via the Lakes, to Quebec, to join Gen. Wolfe's army. He continued in the service until after the capture of Quebec, when he was discharged. Meantime his wife had returned to their dwelling at Boothbay, and finding it deserted she picked her way, as best she could, to Orr's Island, and told her story to Joseph Orr. He took pity on her, and promised to take care of her. He and she then went in a boat to Boothbay, and brought back to Orr's Island what few things of value were left in the house. When her husband was discharged, he, with others who had been impressed into the service, picked their way back to Maine. He came directly to Joseph Orr's, where he found his wife. Mr. Orr then sold to Sinnett thirty acres of land, for which the latter was to pay, and did pay, in days' work.
On this lot he built a house, and it stands to-day in good repair, a monument to his industry and perseverance under difficulties. Ch. were:- Stephen, b. 1766; James, b. 1770.
The first of the name of whom there is any knowledge was Thomas Skolfield, of England, who was an officer in King William's army in 1690, when King James was driven from Ireland. He was granted a tract of land for his services, and settled in Ireland. He had four ch.:- Thomas, George, Elizabeth, and Susan. Thomas, George, and Susan came to America early in the last century. George settled in Philadelphia. Thomas and Susan settled in Brunswick. The latter m. John Orr.
Thomas Skofield (see Biog.) was b. in Ireland in 1707. He settled in Brunswick on the farm now owned by Peter Woodard. He m. Mary Orr. He d. Jan. 6, 1796. She d. Aug. 1. 1771, aged 57. Ch. were:- Rebecca, b. July 8, 1737; Richard, b. Sept. 6, 1738; Clement, b. June 1, 1740;
Anne, b. May 18, 1742, m. Robert Spear, Jr.; Thomas, b. June 8, 1744, in Brunswick, m. Ann Anderson; Mary, b. Feb. 10, 1748, m. Captain Robert Given; Stephen, b. July 8, 1751; Martha, b. Mch. 19, 1753, m. Lewis Simpson; John, b. June 13, 1755; Joseph, b. Mch. 1, 1757; William, b. Aug 27, 1760.
The ancestor of this family, in Harpswell at least, is believed to have been Taylor Small, who was b. in Truro, Mass., and moved to Harpswell, between 1750 and 1755. He m. Thankful, dau. of Thomas Ridley. Ch. were:- Deborah, b. 1743; Thankful, b. 1745; Taylor, b. 1746; Joseph, b. 1748; David, b. 1750, -all b. in Truro. The following were b. in Harpswell:- Thomas, b. 1755; Samuel, b. 1757; Ephraim, b. 1759; Lydia, b. 1761; Mark, b. 1763.
JOSEPH SMITH was one of the early settlers of Brunswick. He settled at New Meadows in 1739. His wife's name was Susannah. Ch. were:- Thomas, b. Feb. 22, 1754; Samuel, b. Oct. 16, 1756; Molly, b. Mch. 22, 1758.
Thomas was killed by the Indians when fourteen years old, i. e., in 1768. He was going after the cows, and when near the tan-pits the Indians intercepted him. His father saw the Indians and shot one of them. They then shot Thomas, and his father killed another of them.
NICHOLAS, ANTHONY, and WILLIAM SNOW are reported to have come over early. The two former brought families. William was an apprentice and settled in Duxbury. Anthony settled first at Plymouth, and then, in 1642, in Marshfield. Nicholas, who came over in the Ann in 1623, settled in Eastham. From one of these probably sprang the Snows of this vicinity, but the connecting links are missing.
The ancestor of the Snow family of this vicinity was ISAAC SNOW, who settled in Harpswell early in the last century: His wife's name was Affier. Ch. were:- John, b. July 25, 1731; Isaac, b. May 18, 1736; Elisha, b. March 26, 1739; Joseph, b. Oct. 2, 1740; Ambrose, b. Mch. 20, 1742; Elizabeth, b. Nov. 3, 1743; Samuel, b. Feb. 28, 1745; Mercy, b. Dec. 8, 1751; Hannah, b. Oct. 30, 1756.
Samuel, John, and Isaac are said to have once owned all the land on the east side of Great Island, Harpswell, north of where Mark Small now lives.
ROBERT SPEAR, one of the early settlers in Brunswick, was b. abt. 1682. He may have been son or grandson of George, of Braintree, who was made a freeman in 1644. He lived a little west of where the old meeting-house stood. His house was a garrison, protected by a timber fortification. Mr. Spear is supposed to have m. a Finney. His wife d. in 1781, aged 85 years. He d. in 1763. Ch were:- Robert; William; a dau. who m. John Given; another dau. who m. William Ross.
This family is doubtless descended from FRANCIS SPRAGUE, who arrived in this country in 1623, and settled in Duxbury about 1632. CAPT. JOSEPH SPRAGUE came to this vicinity from Duxbury in 1787. Settled first in Bowdoinham; moved to Topsham in 1791 or 1792. He was b. in 1757; m. Ruth Hunt, of Duxbury. Ch. were:- James, b. in Weymouth, Oct. 5, 1783; Oakman, b. in Duxbury, Oct. 4, 1786; Joseph, b. in Bowdoinham, Aug. 16, 1788; Elizabeth, b. in Bowdoinham, Aug. 1, 1790; Ruth, b. in Topsham, June 29, 1792; Mary, b. Aug. 27, 1794; Samuel, b. Apr. 1, 1796; Willis; David; Frances.
EBENEZER STANWOOD, or STANDWOOD, as he himself spelled the name, was the ancestor of all of that name in this vicinity, if not of all of the name in the country. He came from Ireland, and settled in Brunswick in 1719. He was a lieutenant in the Indian wars, and was a selectman for two years. He was b. about 1695, and d. July 21, 1772. Ch. were:- David, m. Mary Reed, of Topsham; William, b. 1726, m. Elizabeth Reed, of Topsham; he d. 1797. Samuel, m. 1st, Jane [Lithgow], widow of John McFarland, 2d, Mary Woodside: he d. 1790; Susan.
This family is understood to be of English origin. One or more of the name came early to this country. The connection between the first of the name to settle in Topsham and those who first came to America has not been traced.
SAMUEL STAPLES was b. April 19, 1733. He settled in Topsham as early as 1768 and probably earlier. He m., 1st, Sibbel ----, who was b. Oct. 31, 1737, and d. in 1778. He m., 2d, Lydia Wells, of Falmouth. Their banns were published July, 1779. Ch. by Sibbel were:- Dorcas, b. Dec. 9, 1783, m. 1st, James, son of Stephen Staples, and, 2d, a Houdlette; Stephen, b. Nov. 6, 1756, m. a Coombs, lived and died in Lisbon; Mary, b. Jan. 31, 1760, m. a Hobbs; Elizabeth, b. July 16, 1762; Sibbel, b. Mch. 23, 1764, m. a Walker; Charity, b. April 20, 1778. Ch. by Lydia were:- Jeremiah, b. June 9, 1780; Winslow, b. Mch. 30, 1782; Lydia, b. Mch. 28, 1784, m. James Wain; Eleanor, b. June 4, 1786, m. Dec. 1802, Nathaniel Quint; Lucy, b. Dec. 8, 1789, d. single.
STEPHEN STAPLES was b. Mch. 27, 1739, settled in Topsham about 1758. He m. 1st, Jude------------------, who was b. Nov. 15, 1738, d. Oct. 6, 1763. He m. 2d, Susannah Hobbs, of Falmouth, about 1764. Intentions were recorded Aug. 11, 1764, she survived him and m. Johnson Graves. Ch. by Jude were:- Lucy, b. Nov. 8, 1760 (probably the one published to Hatevil Laten, Falmouth, Jan. 18, 1781); Joseph, b. Aug. 12, 1762. Ch. by Susannah were:- Ephraim, b. May 28, 1765, lived in Gray; Anne, b. April 15, 1767, m. Alexander Howland, abt. 1787; Jude, b. May 9, 1769, m. George Potter, of Bowdoin; John, b. July 27, 1771; Josiah, b. May 2, 1774; Daniel, b. April 19, 1777; James, b. June 2, 1779; Mary, b. July 7, 1782, d. single; Robert, b. May 6, 1788, lived in Bowdoinham.
SIMON STONE and his brother GREGORY were among the early settlers of Watertown, and from them are descended most of the very numerous families of that name in New England. Gregory moved to Cambridge about 1637.
BENJAMIN STONE and w., Rebecca Littlefleld, came from Kennebunk in 1760, and settled in Brunswick. At first he lived in the fort, afterwards built a large house near the corner of Maine and Mill Streets, which he occupied as a tavern. He d. 1806. Ch. were:- Lydia, b. 1758, m. Joseph Holt Ingraham, of Portland; William, b. 1761, d. at sea, unmarried; Benjamin, b. 1763, m. Elizabeth McLellan, of Portland, d. at sea; James, b. 1764, m. Hannah Walker, of Topsham, d. in 1802; Rebecca, b. 1766, m. Joseph McLellan, of Portland, moved to Brunswick in 1819, and d. in 1825; John, b. 1768, d. at Brunswick, 1787; Theodore, b. 1770, never m., d. at Baring, Me., in 1839; Daniel, b. 1772, m. Nancy Hinkley, of Brunswick, d. 1825; Mathias, b. 1774, d. in Brunswick, 1793; Hannah, b. 1776, m. Joseph E. Foxcroft, of New Gloucester, d. in 1810; Jotham, b. 1778, m. 1st, Bridget Walker, of Concord, N. H., 2d, Nancy Whitwell, of Boston. He d. at Brunswick in 1824.
JOHN STOVER, the ancestor of all of that name in Harpswell, was b. in 1709, in the town of York. It is held as a family tradition, handed down for many generations, that when he was nine years old his parents and all his brothers and sisters were killed by the Indians; that he escaped by hiding under a pile of brush; that when he was discovered by the whites he had been so terribly frightened that he was not sure of his name, but thought that it was Stafford; and that he was adopted by a family named Stover. (It has been ascertained that two brothers named Stafford emigrated from England, one of whom settled in Providence, R. I., and the other in York, Me.) He m. a dau. of Captain Johnson Harmon. He moved to Harpswell, probably not later than 1730, and settled on a spot about half-way between the present highway and Norton Stover's shipyard. He d. about 1786. Ch. were:- John, who d. at home; Wanton, who settled in Portland; Joseph; Alcott; Johnson; Abigail, who m. a Varnum, and moved to Bowdoin; Mary, m. a Wheeler, who lived where Robert Stover now does.
ARMS. - Gules, two chevrons between as many mullets in chief and a rose in base argent, seeded or.
CREST. - A mullet or, pierced azure between two gillyflowers, proper.
According to Burke, the SWETE or SWETT family was formerly of Trayne in Edward VI's time, and subsequently of Oxton, in the county of Devonshire, which furnished many colonists to New England.
JOHN SWETT, admitted to the freedom of the Mass. Colony, 18th May, 1642, was one of the grantees of Newbury as early as Dec. 7, 1642.
JOHN SWETT, probably a descendant of John of Newbury, came to Brunswick in 1788. Ch. were:- William; John; and James.
WILLIAM SWIFT was an early settler on Cape Cod. He d. in Sandwich in 1642. His descendants are very numerous.
MAJOR LEMUEL SWIFT, probably a descendant of William of Sandwich, came from New Bedford, and settled in Brunswick in 1790. He was a hatter by trade, and a major in the militia. He d. June 30, 1820, and was the first person buried in Pine Grove Cemetery (the village burying-ground). Ch. were:- Dean, b. Feb. 16, 1791, d. Nov. 1877; Mary Jane, b. Sept. 19, 1810; John Lufkin,b. Jan. 1, 1813; Swan Dineen, b. Mch. 3, 1815.
ARMS. - Ar. an oak tree, eradicated, vert.
CREST. - A lion's head, erased, vert.
This name appears to be of French origin; and in the French language, Sylvestre signifies a tree, whence the coat of arms represents an oak-tree in the shield, being a parlant or speaking coat, descriptive of the name. We find the family settled in England not long after the Conquest, and the ancestor probably went over in the army of William, in 1069. Stephen Silvestre was among the gentry of Norfolk. Gabriel Sylvester, D. D., was Prebend of Weeford, Litchfield, in 1506. The family is highly respectable in the old country, and is numerously represented in the United States. (See Hist. of Hanover, Mass.)
The first of the name in New England was RICHARD, who was of Weymouth, 1633, and of Scituate, 1642.
WILLIAM SILVESTER, of the third generation from Richard, was born in Hanover, Mass., Feb. 25, 1708; m. Mary Barstow May 12, 1736. She b. in Hanover, May 20, 1717.
In his diary is the following entry:-
"May 25, 1762, then we left Hanover and came to Hingham that day shipped our goods on board the Grayhound, Courtney Babbidge, Commander, and we. sailed that night about 10 o'clock. The 26 day we went on board. 30 we came to anchor and landed our cattle. 31 we landed our goods and took possession of our house in Harpswell the last day of May." This house was on the lot now (1877) owned by Rev. Elijah Kellogg.
Ch. were:- William, b. 1737; Charles, b. 1739; Mercy, b. 1741; Elijah, b. 1744; Isaac, b. 1746; Hannah, b. 1748; Deborah, b. 1751; Marlboro, b. 1753, d. 1829; Huldah, b. 1755; Barstow, b. 1757; Stephen, b. 1759. The four ch. last named came to Harpswell with their parents. Some of the other ch. died young, and others, it is probable, settled somewhere in Mass.
Another branch of this family is found in Durham.
This family is probably descended from RICHARD TARR, of whom tradition states that he was born in the West of England about 1660, and settled in Marblehead soon after 1680, where he m. He had a son named William, who m. in 1708 and had several ch. He also had a nephew named William. Some of this family are known to have moved to Maine.
A WILLIAM TARR settled on Merriconeag Neck prior to 1753, and was probably the ancestor of those now living in this vicinity. He was probably a son of William named above, but the connection has not been traced. The earliest record of the family in the Harpswell town records is the following:-
CAPT. WILLIAM TARR m. a dau. of Josiah Clark of Harpswell. Ch. were:- Richard, b. 1783; William, b. 1785; Catherine, b. 1787; Betsy, b. 1790; Mary, b. 1793; Clark, b. 1795.
According to the family tradition three brothers of this name, BENJAMIN, THOMAS, and JAMES, came to this country from Ireland. Benjamin and James settled in York. Thomas, in 1718, settled in Biddeford.
JAMES THOMPSON, son of the James above mentioned, was b. in Kittery, Feb. 22, 1707. He came to Brunswick from Biddeford about the year 1739, and settled at New Meadows. He m. 1st, Reliance Hinkley, Apr. 13, 1732. She d. May 23, 1751. He m. 2d , Mrs. Lydia [Brown] Harris of Ipswich, Dec. 13, 1751. She d. Feb. 10, 1764. He m. 3d, Mary Higgins, Mch. 22, 1764. She d. May 23, 1790. He d. in Topsham, Sept. 22, 1791. Ch. by first wife:- Elizabeth, b. Mch. 13, 1733, m. Daniel Weed; Samuel (Biog.), b. Mch. 22. 1735, was brigadier-general in the Revolution; James, b. Feb. 7, 1737, d. in infancy; Reliance, b. June 27, 1738, m. James Edgecomb; Adrian, b. Mch. 29, 1740; Rachel, b. June 3, 1741, m. James Curtis; Ruth, b. May 27, 1743, m. Daniel Curtis; Aaron, b. May 29, 1745, sailed for Ireland at age of 22, and never heard from; Isaiah, b. April 17, 1747; James, b. May 22, 1750. Ch. by second wife were:- Benjamin, b. Oct. 26, 1753; Jemima, b. Oct. 18, 1755, m. John Ham, son of Tobias Ham; Ezekiel, b. Sept. 16, 1757, m. Priscilla Purinton, of Harpswell; Sarah, b. Sept. 16, 1760, m. Theophilus Hinkley; Ruth and Rachel, b. Dec. 29, 1763: Rachel d. in infancy; Ruth m. Robert, son of her father's brother, Cornelius Thompson.
By reference to the list of early settlers in the Appendix, it will be seen that there were several others of the Thompson family who settled at New Meadows in the same year. They were probably either brothers or cousins. James and Cornelius were brothers.
ALEXANDER THOMPSON was b. at Arundel Aug. 27, 1757; m. Lydia Wildes, of Arundel, April 8, 1784. Moved to Topsham in 1785. He d. Feb. 23, 1820, she d. April 8, 1864. Ch. were:- Jane, b. Nov. 7, 1785, m. Maj. Nathaniel Walker; Eunice, b. March 17, 1788, m. Gen. John Wilson; Lydia, b. April 17, 1790, m. Elias Pierce; Hannah, b. June 1, 1792, m. Calvin Fairbanks; John, b. Aug. 11, 1794, m. Mary Mustard; Alpheus B., b. Jan. 24, 1797, m. at Santa Barbara, Francisca Carrillo; Mary, b. Apr. 9, 1799, single; Wildes T., b. March 20, 1801, m. Wealthy Robinson; Dixey W., b. May 2, 1803, m. Sarah E. Purinton; Francis A., b. June 27, 1807, m. at Bath.
There are other branches of the family in Topsham and Brunswick of which no account has been furnished us.
Tradition says the Toothakers were originally Whitakers, and that, upon coming to this country, they changed their name in order to avoid being
impressed into the British service, they having fled from England, probably on account of religious persecution.
The earliest of the name in this vicinity of whom there is any record were EBENEZER, SETH, and ANDREW, who settled in Harpswell about 1737 or 1740. No record of their children has been found. The following, from the Harpswell town records, are the earliest records of this family which we have seen:-
GIDEON TOOTHAKER, m. Abigail---- Ch. were:- Andrew, b. April 10, 1776; Abigail, b. Nov. 22, 1779; William Rodick, b. Feb. 19, 1782.
ABRAM TOOTHAKER, m Mary----. Ch. were:- Alexander, b. Sept. 7, 1771; Abram, b. March 16, 1774; Elizabeth, b. July 14, 1777; Rebecca, b. June 3, 1783; Isaac, b. Aug. 22, 1785 (the foregoing b. in Harpswell); Rebecca, b. in Brunswick, May 24, 1789; Jenny, b. June 19, 1792.
This family is probably descended from WILLIAM VEAZIE, who was of Braintree in 1643. There was, however, a GEORGE VEAZIE in Dover in 1659. Rev. SAMUEL VEAZIE came to Harpswell from Nantasket, near Boston, in 1767. He purchased a lot of land on Great Island, adjoining the old meeting-house, cleared it, and built a house upon it. He m. 1st, Deborah Sampson; and 2d, Sarah Jones. He had ch. by 1st wife:- John, who settled in Portland and was father of Gen. Samuel Veazie of Topsham; Samuel, settled in Harpswell; Rebecca, m. Jonathan Holbrook; Deborah, m. Robert Jordan. By 2d wife, he had two ch., both of whom died young.
The first Anglo-American ancestor of this family has not been, and probably cannot be, determined with certainty. There is, however, little doubt that the family is of English origin. JOHN WALKER was admitted a freeman of Mass., Apr. 4, 1634, and AUGUSTINE WALKER in 1641; both settled in Charlestown.
CAPT. RICHARD WALKER was one of the first settlers of Lynn in 1630; admitted as a freeman in 1634.
JOHN WALKER, the ancestor of the Walkers of Topsham, was b. in Newington, N. H., in 1692. June 1, 1717, he bought what was known in 1845 as the "Walker Field" in Kittery, where he afterwards resided. He m. Oct. 21, 1717, Mary, dau. of John Bickford, of Newington. He d. June 3, 1743.
GIDEON WALKER, son of John, of Newington, was born in Kittery, Oct. 12, 1719. He was apprenticed to a tanner in Rowley, Mass. He m. 1st, Hannah Palmer of Rowley, Feb. 3, 1741; and 2d, Mrs. Hannah Lossell. In 1741 his father bought him a homestead in Arundel (Kennebunkport), where he moved with his first wife in 1745.
GIDEON WALKER, son of Gideon, of Arundel, was b. in Arundel, July 8, 1751. He m. Mary, dau. of Thomas Perkins, of that town, Nov. 2, 1777. She was b. Jan. 16, 1758, and d. Mch. 1, 1845. He moved to Topsham, Dec. 8, 1789, and d. there May 5, 1828. Ch. were:- Hannah, b. Jan. 2, 1780, m. 1st, James Stone, 1797, and 2d, Johnson Wilson; Nathaniel (Biog.), b. Sept. 25, 1781, and d. Aug. 17, 1851; Lucy, b. June 29, 1786, d. Dec. 19,1802;
Susanna, b. Mch. 29, 1792, d. June 27, 1852, m. Samuel Veazie; two ch., who died in infancy.
No account of this family has been found of an earlier date than 1738, when WAITT WEBBER settled on Merriconeag Neck. No record of his ch. has been found, but Josiah, David, and Daniel were probably his sons.
JOSIAH WEBBER had ch.:- Elizabeth, b. 1750; Sarah, b. 1751; Patience, b. 1753; Josiah, b. 1754; Abigail, b. 1757.
DAVID WEBBER had ch.:- Richard, b. 1769; Charles, b. 1772; Susanna, b. 1775; Eleanor, b. 1777; Jeremiah, b. 1779; David, b. 1781; Phinehas, b. 1784; Mercy, b. 1786; Jane, b. 1790; Lucy, b. 1793.
DANIEL WEBBER had ch.:- Joseph, b. 1763; Hannah, b. 1766; Daniel, b. 1768; Deborah, b, 1770; William, b. 1772; Martha, b. 1774; Waitstill, b. 1779; Abigail, b. 1781; James, b. 1784; Robert, b. 1786; Patience, b. 1789; Betsey, b. 1792; Martha, b. 1796.
The ancestor of this family was EDMUND WESTON, who came in the William and Ann, from London to Boston in 1635, and settled in Duxbury.
JACOB WESTON came from Duxbury, Mass., to Brunswick in 1783 or 1784, and bought the house at New Meadows which had been occupied by Dr. Duncan, and still earlier by Gideon Hinkley. Mr. Weston was a shipwright by trade. He built a number of vessels and sailed in some of them himself. He was also a house-joiner, and there are specimens of his handiwork still remaining in the eastern section of the town. He m. (it is thought) Alice Southworth, 1784. No record of his ch. has been furnished us, and we are not positive that he m. as above stated.
Several persons of this name came from England at different times in the seventeenth century and settled in different places.
WILLIAM WHITE, with his wife and five ch., came over in the Mayflower in 1620. Another WHITE came from England and landed at Ipswich in 1635. The first of the name in this vicinity was SAMUEL WHITE, who between 1717 and 1722 took up a lot in Topsham (the sixth above John Merrill's). He, however, forfeited his lot and it passed into other hands, and no record has been found of his having taken up another.
HUGH WHITE settled at Middle Bay, in Brunswick, in 1739. His wife's name was Jane. Ch. were:- John, b. Oct. 14, 1738; Martha, b. Oct. 3, 1740; Jean, b. Dec. 23, 1742; David, b. April 25, 1745; Mary, b. Sept. 2, 1747; Hugh, b. Sept. 2, 1749.
The first of the name in Topsham to whom reference has been found was DEACON ELIJAH WHITE, who was b. July, 1761, and d. Oct. 16, 1854. Ch. were:- Polly, b. Sept. 7, 1788; Elijah, b. Dec. 31, 1791; Judah, b. Sept. 16, 1793; Jane, b. Oct. 28, 1795; William, b. Aug. 26, 1797; Sally, b. Oct. 27, 1799; Joseph, b. Dec. 19, 1801; Doretha, b. Dec. 12, 1803.
GEORGE WHITE, of Topsham, had his intention of marriage to Lucy Thorne, of Topsham, recorded Oct. 19, 1771. No record of their ch. has been found.
It is probable that most, if not all, of the families of this name, in New England at least, are descendants of JOHN and ELINOR WHITNEY, of Watertown, who came over from Ipswich, England, in the Elizabeth and Ann in 1635.
SAMUEL WHITNEY settled at New Meadows in 1739. His house stood opposite the Cornelius Thompson house, which is still standing a short distance west from Harding's Station. He was a deacon of the old Congregational Church. His wife's name was Lydia. Ch. were:- Samuel, b. Sept. 15, 1732; Jonathan, b. Dec. 21, 1734; Lydia, b. Feb. 20, 1735; Susannah, b. July 25, 1738; Lettis, b. June 27, 1742.
JOHN WHITNEY, probably brother of Samuel, also settled at New Meadows in 1739. His wife's name was Lettis. They had Benjamin, b. May 22, 1725, and perhaps other ch.
The name of the Anglo-American ancestor of this family has not been ascertained.
JOHN WHITTEN, the first of the name to settle in this vicinity, was b. in Arundel in 1734, and m. Hannah Walker of that place. He came to Topsham about 1764, and settled in the western part of the town, above John Merrill's. He d. In 1802. Ch. were:- Moses, who d. at West Point during the Revolution; John, b. Dec. 14, 1758; Hannah, b. April 20, 1761; Ruth, b. March 12, 1763; Molly, b. Jan. 18, 17--; Joshua, b. Oct. 28, 1768; Samuel, b. Mch. 8, 1771; Joseph, b. July 28, 1774; Sarah, b. Aug. 26, 1776; Eleanor, b. Feb. 22, 1779.
Among the early settlers of Topsham were HUGH, SAMUEL, ROBERT, WILLIAM, and THOMAS WILSON; and an ALEXANDER WILSON settled at Harpswell. Hugh, Samuel, Robert, William, and Alexander were probably brothers. Thomas, according to family tradition, was of no relation to the others of the name.
A JAMES WILSON is called 1 the father of Hugh, and so was probably father of Robert, Samuel, William, Alexander, and Jane, who m. William Alexander of Topsham, afterwards of Harpswell.
HUGH WILSON, son of James, was b. about 1729. About 1763 he bought 100 acres of land at Cathance. He had his leg broken among the logs on the eastern branch of the Cathance. An amputation was made by a physician from Casco (Portland), but he did not long survive the operation. He m. Elizabeth Hewey, who survived him and m. Timothy Weymouth. Ch. were:- Hugh; James, who d. s. in 1786; William, who m. Sarah Chase; Betsey, who m. Jessie Davis, of Lisbon; Martha, who m. Ebenezer Farrin.
SAMUEL WILSON m. 1st, Mary Reed; and 2d, Elizabeth [Snow] Holbrook. He was licensed as an innholder at Topsham, by the Court of Sessions for Lincoln County, in Oct. 1762, and for. each successive year down to Sept. 1766,
when his last license was granted. He removed to Lisbon prior to 1790, and lived and d. on the farm owned in 1835 by Charles Thompson. Ch. by first wife were:- Hannah, b. Oct. 27, 1762; James, b. July 2, 1764; Susannah, b. May 18, 1766; John, and William. No ch. by second wife.
WILLIAM WILSON settled in Topsham; m. a Larrabee. Ch. were:- William; John; Samuel; Elizabeth; Isabella; Hannah.
ALEXANDER WILSON m. Catharine, dau. of Robert Swanzey. Settled on Merriconeag Neck (Harpswell). She d. 1764, aged 37. Ch. were:- James, b. 1747, d. 1838; Mary, b. 1749; Elizabeth, b. 1751; David, b. 1754; Esther, b. 1756; Jennet, b. 1757; Alexander, b. 1759; Swanzey, b. 1761; Catherine, b. 1763.
THOMAS WILSON, of different parentage from the foregoing, came to this country from Ireland when a boy. He m. Ann Cochran of Londonderry, N.H. Settled in Topsham in 1752. Ch. were:- William, b. in Boston in 1741, m. Mary Patten of Arundel in 1769; James, b. 1744; Thomas, who went to sea and was never heard from, said to have been a Tory; Lettice, m. a Martin, of Brunswick; Margaret, who m. 1st, John Hunter, and 2d, Alexander Rogers; Mary, who m. June 18, 1776, John Sandford; Elizabeth, who, in 1772, m. William Porterfield.
Mr. James Wilson, now residing in Topsham, and who was born in 1789, is a grandson of Thomas, Sr.
This name is, without doubt, of early Saxon origin. It signifies "an angle," and was probably derived from some Saxon town situated on the angle of a river. The name has been spelled in various ways, at different periods and in different countries. The earliest mention of the name as a proper appellation which has been found is Feb. 18, 1293, when ROBERT WINCHELSEY was elected Archbishop of Canterbury.
ROBERT WINCHELL was probably b. in the South of England, but perhaps in Wales. He was at Dorchester, Mass., as early as 1634, and removed to Windsor, Conn., about 1635.
SAMUEL WINCHELL, of the fourth generation from Robert, of Windsor, was b. at Windsor, Mch. 15, 1711; m. Sarah McNess of Harpswell, about 1738; d. Topsham, Feb. 4, 1783. He settled in Harpswell as early as 1738. His brother Ebenezer accompanied him, but subsequently returned and settled at Torrington, Conn. In 1740, Samuel removed to Topsham and settled near the Cathance Mills, of which he became one fourth owner. He was also owner of a large tract of land in the vicinity of the mills. He was a prominent man in the town, and must have been a man of considerable wealth. It is said "he kept the first public house, -not a tavern,- but his house was deemed the first in town, and for it strangers used to inquire." Ch. were:- John, b. in Harpswell, May 2, 1740; Martha, b. in Topsham, May 14, 1742, was published to Benjamin Barrens of Harpswell, in May or June, 1768, who was afterwards killed in Bowdoin by a falling tree; Salome, b. July 8, 1744; Samuel, b. Oct. 25, 1746, and James, were, both drowned (though as only one body was found it was supposed the other person had been captured by the Indians); Ebenezer, b. May 15, 1749; Ann, unmarried; Sarah, b. in 1750, m. Arthur Hunter, Feb. 16, 1775; Silence, who m. James Purington, of Topsham,
Nov. 23, 1786; Mary, who m. John Given, Aug. 8, 1771; Hannah, b. in Topsham in 1759, d. there July 29, 1823, s.
REV. JAMES WOODSIDE, a clergyman of the Church of England, came to this country, with his son William, prior to 1719. He preached for a while to the church in Brunswick, but prior to 1726 he returned to England, leaving his son in Brunswick.
WILLIAM WOODSIDE, son of Rev. James Woodside, m. Ann Vincent, of Brunswick. He d. 1764. Ch. were:- James, b. July 18, 1727; Vincent, b. Sept. 25, 1729; Anna, b. Aug. 19, 1731; William, b. Oct. 11, 1733; Mary, b. Jan. 20, 1735; Mary, b. March 5, 1738; Anthony, b. May 23, 1740; Jean, b. May 14, 1742; Sarah, b. Jan. 13, 1744.
SAMUEL WOODWARD settled in Brunswick, near Bunganock, in 1738. Nothing relative to his ancestry has been found.
PETER WOODWARD settled at New Meadows about 1750, possibly earlier. His wife's name was Judith. Ch. were:- Samuel, b. Nov. 22, 1749; Peggy, b. April 7, 1751; Ebenezer, b. Feb. 28, 1755; Peter, b. Feb. 25, 1759; Joseph, b. Nov. 25, 1761.
This family is of Irish descent. The first of whom we have any account was WILLIAM WYER, of Boston, whose widow came to Harpswell in 1762, with her son Robert and daughter Agnes. The latter married James Barstow. The mother married Joseph Orr.
ROBERT WYER was b. in Boston, Apr. 22, 1754. Ch. were:- Lettice, b. May 27, 1777; William, b. Nov. 14, 1779; David, b. April 18, 1783; James S. b. Aug. 27, 1786; Joseph, b. March 27,1788; Margaret, b. Aug. 5, 1790; Mary, b. March 17, 1793; Jane E., b. Nov. 4, 1795; Lucretia, b. April 17, 1797.
|Wheeler & Wheeler Home||About Wheeler & Wheeler||Curtis Memorial Library Home|
|Previous Chapter||Table of Contents||Next (Appendix 1)|